DOUBLE YOLK.... How common is this?

Commerical egg producers have very high powered lights they use to discard double yolkers and the ones with blood spots. That is why the store eggs never have blood spots in them.

How It's Made is usually a boring show unless they feature chickens.

ETA: I usually get my doubles from the new layers. They taper off after about 6 months.

Last edited:
double yolks are not too common in commercial hybrid breeds. now in heritage breeds when the pullet starts to lay eggs you might get some double yolkers! I have a Golden Laced Wyandotte that started to lay eggs a few weeks ago, her first 3 eggs were single yolkers, but the next 6 she laid were double yolkers, all laid in a row day after day. I have a red-sex link hen that laid a HUGE egg the other day it had 4 yolks in it!!!!!

Quote:
OMGosh!! That has to be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I was on the edge of my seat through that whole thing and they weren't even my chickies!
gig.gif
Well, I won't have to worry about my fingernails for my first hatch...I think I just chewed them all off watching that video!
lol.png
Thanks for finding that urbanolive!

Does anyone know how that pair are doing today?

Quote:
OMG...I was sitting here watching the whole thing holding my breath...The anticipation was killing me...rofl...Thanks for posting the link it was fasinating!...

~Laura

I guess it makes sense that they would have them more often at first then later on when they are older.... Those videos are pretty amazing... I think I would have gone nuts if I had seen blood like she saw there.

Okay, so great job finding a video with someone helping.... now for an even bigger challenge.... finding someone with pictures or video of twins hatching without help

Also, is there any known surviving triplets or more?

one of our girls (that we gave to my dad) lays double yolkers consistantly. I would say about 75% of what she lays are doublers. I get a few from my girls as well, some are double yolks and the yolks aren't normal size, and then others are double EGGS it seems; because the yolks seem to be normal size as well as the amount of egg white. then I feel bad from who ever laid it, and give them all treats for their hard work!

Back
Top Bottom