Double yolk x2

Pics
Clyde quit. I have photos of the egg in the quit mode. And I have eggtopsy pics. (My phone needs a charge.)
The second yolk was not fertile, so it was just Clyde.
Last movement was on day 19. Clyde doesn't look like day 19 development, but I think his development slowed maybe a few days earlier as he was dying. Plus too much fluid as the other yolk probably went bad on him. He was a blonde chick. Maybe if the other egg was fertile they both could have made it. I could not have known when I set the egg the second yolk was not fertile. Day 19 is a record in my book.
Oh I am so sorry, :hugs it was wonderful to follow along though, thanks for sharing this experience with us!

Last day 20 just before opening
20231122_073950.jpg
back side
20231122_074000.jpg

20231122_081004.jpg

I had no idea one yolk could not be fertilized in a double yolked egg. Interesting. I've been reading along and appreciate the updates. Sorry Clyde didn't make it
It isn't necessarily that it wasn't fertilized (sperm entered the blastoderm). There are other reasons an embryo didn't begin development.

Ok, I followed this thread for a while. I wasn't going to interject anything. I appreciate the concept of discovery, trial and error, so many other things. I know the OP wasn't asking permission. I understand that most people on BYC know, the chances of success are slim and none. So I have to ask, knowing the problems an embryo faces, namely, not enough room for two chicks, not enough nutrition for two embryos to develop, likely not enough oxygen, why would one knowingly incubate a double yolk egg? I'm just curious about the motivation.
There is a reason there are no twins in oviparous animals in nature. Double yolk eggs, regardless of species don't result in viable offspring so the genetics leading to double yolk are not replicated.
Viviparous animals like most mammals can accommodate twinning because the abdomen can expand, unlike a shell. The nutritional and oxygen demands of the embryos can be accommodated by the mother, unlike the finite resources in an egg.

In the OP's initial post there was a bit on sealing with nail polish. I've used nail polish, bees wax and neither resulted in a hatch. But I started using liquid skin bandage and they were successful. In fact, once I dropped an egg from waist high onto a hardwood floor that was only on about day 8. It shattered with cracks covering at least 60% of the shell. I really didn't expect anything and worried about the adhesive nature of the bandage preventing emergence. It hatched overnight while I was sleeping with apparently no problems.
I think an advantage of the liquid bandage is its antiseptic properties. and it is breathable. Properties possessed by neither wax nor polish.

Back
Top Bottom