Double yolk

I know it's a long shot but I've never had a double yolk egg before and I purchased eggs from someone for my incubator and there was one avaliable. I know the chances are very slim for this egg to make it all the way through and hatch but I decided to try. It is day 6 and I candled and I have two embryos. Does anyone have any experience with this?
You mean the chances are very slim for the embryos. The egg will make it just fine.
It has been done but extremely rare.
This is so interesting. I hope it goes well. I don't think I would be brave enough to try to hatch a double yolk egg.
I understand the urge to try something challenging.

The problem is that twinning in egg layers isn't the same thing as twins in mammals or other live bearers.
Live bearers' abdomens enlarge to accommodate the number of embryos therein.
Nutrient uptake in embryos of live bearers regulates to fulfill the needs of growth.

In contrast, an egg contains all the space and nutrition it will ever have and other than an additional yolk, it is intended for a single embryo. Turning in an egg to be in position for pipping is difficult enough for a single chick. Imagine two trying to maneuver in the same space.
For those reasons, twinning is usually a death sentence for embryos. If one does survive, it likely would be behind its siblings in development.
Considering that multiple births is genetic and passed on generationally in mammals, twinning is usually a death sentence in egg layers so the trait isn't passed on genetically. For good reason.
Sorry to be such a downer.
Since I am breeding to improve my lines of birds, I always eat double yolkers with bacon.

Good Luck! will be following!

I was sent here by 5sons coop so I'll be following too.

Last edited:
I understand the urge to try something challenging.

The problem is that twinning in egg layers isn't the same thing as twins in mammals or other live bearers.
Live bearers abdomens enlarge to accommodate the number of embryos therein.
Nutrient uptake in embryos of live bearers regulates to fulfill the needs of growth.

In contrast, an egg contains all the space and nutrition it will ever have and other than an additional yolk, it is intended for a single embryo. Turning in an egg to be in position for pipping is difficult enough for a single chick. Imagine two trying to maneuver in the same space.
For those reasons, twinning is usually a death sentence for embryos. If one does survive, it likely would be behind its siblings in development.
Just as multiple births is genetic and passed on generationally in mammals, twinning is usually a death sentence in egg layers so the trait isn't passed on genetically. For good reason.
Sorry to be such a downer.
Since I am breeding to improve my lines of birds, I always eat double yolkers with bacon.
I know that its super hard for the chicks to hatch, that their isn't enough room for twins, and that it's generally not good all around. I have read about hatching chicks, and I do know how hard it is for just a single chick to get into position. I have hatched chicks before. I am a twin myself, and my mother had to have a c-section, because I wasn't positioned to come out correctly. And 2 weeks later, my intestines almost burst, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I had to have my stomach pumped constantly. I was the twin that just hadn't been ready to be out yet. The sick twin, who wasn't growing, who almost died. I had other complications, too. Like a heart murmur, 104 degree fevers, convolutions, and acid re-flux to name a few. So I know that there are a lot of complications when it comes to twins, even in live bearers. And I know it is different in chickens, but still.... I don't think I will ever set a double yolk egg, at least on purpose( might accidentally set one without realizing, there's always a chance.) But some people purposely set double yolk eggs to try and hatch them, and I was just saying that I don't think I would want to do that. I worry enough as it is with single yolk egg chicks hatching. I wouldn't be brave enough to attempt it. That's all. I realize what problems come with it. I don't ever get double yolk eggs anymore(that I know of. I sell most of my LF eggs, and have never seen double yolk eggs in bantams), so I would have no way of trying it anyways, even if I wanted to. But I still find it interesting to hear about other people's experiences and attempts. Sorry. I didn't mean to offend or come off as uneducated in this or anything.

I know that its super hard for the chicks to hatch, that their isn't enough room for twins, and that it's generally not good all around. I have read about hatching chicks, and I do know how hard it is for just a single chick to get into position. I have hatched chicks before. I am a twin myself, and my mother had to have a c-section, because I wasn't positioned to come out correctly. And 2 weeks later, my intestines almost burst, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I had to have my stomach pumped constantly. I was the twin that just hadn't been ready to be out yet. The sick twin, who wasn't growing, who almost died. I had other complications, too. Like a heart murmur, 104 degree fevers, convolutions, and acid re-flux to name a few. So I know that there are a lot of complications when it comes to twins, even in live bearers. And I know it is different in chickens, but still.... I don't think I will ever set a double yolk egg, at least on purpose( might accidentally set one without realizing, there's always a chance.) But some people purposely set double yolk eggs to try and hatch them, and I was just saying that I don't think I would want to do that. I worry enough as it is with single yolk egg chicks hatching. I wouldn't be brave enough to attempt it. That's all. I realize what problems come with it. I don't ever get double yolk eggs anymore(that I know of. I sell most of my LF eggs, and have never seen double yolk eggs in bantams), so I would have no way of trying it anyways, even if I wanted to. But I still find it interesting to hear about other people's experiences and attempts. Sorry. I didn't mean to offend or come off as uneducated in this or anything.

I didn't mean to offend either.
I'm with you 100% and am sorry you had such issues as a child.
I can't see well enough into my dark eggs to tell if there's one yolk or two. Luckily, I haven't set one yet.

Well, I've seen a sucessful Double yolk hatch done twice. I seen a couple where one survived. And a bunch when none did.

I didn't mean to offend either.
I'm with you 100% and am sorry you had such issues as a child.
I can't see well enough into my dark eggs to tell if there's one yolk or two. Luckily, I haven't set one yet.
Luckily I can't remember anything with that, seeing as I was only 2 weeks old. I hope I never set a double yolk egg. I'm glad most of my hens lay lighter eggs. I would honestly hate having to deal with the stress of accidentally setting a double yolk egg. I'm glad we're on the same page, and I really hope that you weren't offended by anything I said. I wasn't really offended, but just wanted to show that I knew what I was talking about. I hope everyone has a good day :) I'm going to be hatching silkies for the Easter Hatch-A-Long, and I'm really excited. Has anyone ever had a silkie egg that had more than one yolk? Or any bantam that has laid a double yolk egg? I would assume it's less common in bantams since they are not bred specifically for egg laying, correct? Just curious, because I have never seen a bantam, or bantam cross, lay a double yolk egg.

Luckily I can't remember anything with that, seeing as I was only 2 weeks old. I hope I never set a double yolk egg. I'm glad most of my hens lay lighter eggs. I would honestly hate having to deal with the stress of accidentally setting a double yolk egg. I'm glad we're on the same page, and I really hope that you weren't offended by anything I said. I wasn't really offended, but just wanted to show that I knew what I was talking about. I hope everyone has a good day :) I'm going to be hatching silkies for the Easter Hatch-A-Long, and I'm really excited. Has anyone ever had a silkie egg that had more than one yolk? Or any bantam that has laid a double yolk egg? I would assume it's less common in bantams since they are not bred specifically for egg laying, correct? Just curious, because I have never seen a bantam, or bantam cross, lay a double yolk egg.

I'm sorry I quoted you with my tirade. Since you weren't hatching, I thought it would defer resentment from the OP by replying to your post. I was worried I came across too strong but couldn't resist offering the reasons it wasn't a good idea.

I don't think a bantam would be any less likely to lay a double yolk egg. Double or even triple, quad, etc. yolks are usually due to them being laid by pullets before the sequencing of the laying machine is in synch. Whether they be LF or bantams wouldn't matter. I'm sure that all birds occasionally lay double yolks, whether they be sparrows, geese or emus.

I'm sorry I quoted you with my tirade. Since you weren't hatching, I thought it would defer resentment from the OP by replying to your post. I was worried I came across too strong but couldn't resist offering the reasons it wasn't a good idea.

I don't think a bantam would be any less likely to lay a double yolk egg. Double or even triple, quad, etc. yolks are usually due to them being laid by pullets before the sequencing of the laying machine is in synch. Whether they be LF or bantams wouldn't matter. I'm sure that all birds occasionally lay double yolks, whether they be sparrows, geese or emus.
It's fine. We're good :) you don't have to apologize. I understand. And that's interesting. I guess I didn't think about the whole getting the laying thing figured out. I guess I forgot about that. Makes more sense than my guess haha. I guess I just figured that since they were meant to lay eggs specifically, that they would have more mess-ups than hens not meant for eggs specifically(which bantams normally aren't). But I wonder why I haven't seen a bantam hen(or pullet most likely) lay an egg with more than one yolk? Interesting....Maybe I'm just lucky haha. I have a few cochin bantam(and a cochin banty x mix banty roo pullet) and silkie pullets that so far haven't laid any double yolk eggs. But, neither have my silver campine pullets... Come to think of it, I haven't had any hens lay double yolk eggs in like 2 years. That's weird haha. Once again, interesting....Very interesting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom