Double Yolker

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MotherHen75, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MotherHen75

MotherHen75 Songster

Dec 18, 2018
    South Carolina
    I found an unusually large egg in the small clutch im letting one of my hens sit on. I candled it and saw 2 yolks inside, im very happy and kinda scared at the same time. I've heard that both chicks could possibly die, and they cant get out by themselves because they'll kick each other to death. I know that helping a chick out of its egg could hurt it, but I dont know what to do. Its only been a short while shes been sitting on the eggs. Help?

Alexandra33 likes this.
  2. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    I’d remove the egg and fry it as long as it’s fresh. There is a slim chance that the egg will produce a viable chick.

aart and Alexandra33 like this.
  3. Animals45

Animals45 Crowing

Nov 8, 2018
    Yes, it is bad to hatch a double yolk.
    I read this on the internet and it said you take a wet cloth or a paper towel and you peel it a little bit. I am really not a help though,
    Maybe @Alexandra33 can help or @SongBaby33.

Alexandra33 and A_Fowl_Guy like this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Type 'hatching double yolk eggs' in the search bar and do an on site search. Hatching them is not impossible but is extremely difficult with a low hatch rate - that's in an incubator situation. Under a broody it becomes even more difficult and far less successful.

Animals45 and Alexandra33 like this.
  5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

A few BYC members successfully hatched out twins, but yet again, those were accomplished via incubator. Spotting any development yet? If so, I can't envision removing the egg from underneath your broody.

~Alex

Animals45 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: