Double yolks in one egg

Aquatic_blue

Songster
May 14, 2019
Southwest USA
I have a young egg laying hen and about 1-2 times per week she lays a big egg with two yolks inside. I assume it is the same hen as all the other eggs that are left in the nesting boxes are smaller.

It is pretty cool to see two yolks in one egg because I have heard of it, but have never seen it before. Although, I do wonder if this is normal or if it is a precursor to health problems. So I figured I would ask here =)

Double yolkers are common with big eggs, just don't normally see it with store bought eggs. I think sometimes they lay big eggs to start and then it takes a bit for their system to regulate and you'll get normal single yolk eggs. This happened with some brown leghorn pullets I had, first eggs were 110 gram double yolkers. Same with a couple pekin ducks I have their first eggs were huge double yolkers now they are laying normal big eggs but smaller and single yolks.

Last edited:
Double rollers are common with big eggs, just don't normally see it with store bought eggs. I think sometimes they lay big eggs to start and then it takes a bit for their system to regulate and you'll get normal single yolk eggs. This happened with some brown leghorn pullets I had, first eggs were 110 gram double yolkers. Same with a couple pekin ducks I have their first eggs were huge double yolkers now they are laying normal big eggs but smaller and single yolks.

Good to know. Thank you!

Double yolks not too unusual with new layers, especially high production birds like leghorns or any of the various sexlink hybrids.
Whether it bodes to future issues, only time will tell,
but those high production birds can be more prone to reproductive problems as they age.

Aquatic-Blue, what type of birds do you have? I have a red sex link and she occasionally lays a large double yolk egg.

I am not 100% sure if they are sex links or production reds, but they look like Rhode Island Reds and our neighbor that seems to know chickens pretty well told us that is what they were. One of our hens has never laid really small eggs that we know about. The first egg we got was small, but not as small as some of the other hens started out.

Back
Top Bottom