Double yolks or two soft shelled/no shell eggs every day

JessicaFaith

Chirping
May 26, 2019
Portland Oregon USA
Hi! I have a young Australorp hen who just started laying about 3 weeks ago. I know things take a while to regulate themselves when hens first start laying. I’m still concerned though because every day for the last week and a half she has either laid a hard shell double yolk egg or two soft shelled eggs or sometimes a no shelled egg and a soft shelled egg. With two yolks a day, I’m concerned about making sure she has all the nutrients to replenish. She has a fresh supply of oyster shells and crushed egg shell at all times. She is fed organic whole grain feed which I ferment. She also has a feeder with some dry feed. She gets lots of greens and soil when they are out in their chicken tractor every afternoon. I should say she is completely normal other than this two yolk a day thing. My other two Australorp hens of the same age are laying normal eggs. I’m a new chicken keeper though and maybe I’m missing something? Thanks in advance!

I forgot to mention that I feed them layer feed. I read in “Chicken Health” that hens are born with two ovaries but one goes dormant. Maybe her second ovary isn’t dormant? I just can’t seem to find much info on this.

constant double yolks is I believe considered a reproductive issue and breeders won't use them for breeding stock. I don't know as I don't think it is a very common occurrence or we don't hear about it as much as they would most likely be culled, I would worry more about it in about a week as they usually got the kinks worked out in a month. if she's on laying feed you can offer some extra calcium separate to see if that helps the egg shells issue as that's usually either calcium deficiency or reproductive issue. We had one that while she was working kinks out laid an egg inside of an egg. Also make sure the feed isn't expired.

@BantyChooks
@casportpony
@Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom