Doubled chicken wire?

ChickenPox

Songster
8 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Middle GA
Would doubling chicken wire be enough to keep climbing predators out? I"m not so worried about digging ones, as the bottom of the coop/run is pretty well reinforced because we have neighborhood dogs and I didn't want to take any chances. Most of the top of the run is covered by either chain link or cattle pannel with a single layer of chicken wire over it. I'm not too worried about the chain link part, as those are sturdy and small. But there is a "gap" of about 2 feet between the chain link and cattle pannel where we just have a layer of chicken wire. Can coons or possums tear through chicken wire? Would doubling it over that 2 feet section help? Our dogs stay in mostly at night but are sometimes out, and the neighbor has a dog on a lead close to the coop, so I figure that will help. Plus, whatever predator would have to be pretty smart/determined to find the 2 foot gap over the 35 feet......but I know it's possible. I know that harware cloth is best, but for the distance it would have to run, I would probably have to take a loan out to get it. LOL! TIA for the advice!

Personally, I wouldn't use chicken wire. By the time you double it up you'll have almost spent as much as a single run of 1/2" hardware cloth....THAT will keep 'em out! Best of luck!

Ok, so I will probably cave and get the hardware cloth. Sigh.....these birds! LOL! So how small of a gauge is small enough to keep most predators out? I have horse wire fencing that has small guaged holes (about 2x4 inches.) Maybe baby coons or possums could get in, but could the babies kill a full grown bird? I don't think we have problems with weasels in our area. I'm trying to use what I already have vs. buying more. $$ and all......

Ok, so I will probably cave and get the hardware cloth. Sigh.....these birds! LOL! So how small of a gauge is small enough to keep most predators out? I have horse wire fencing that has small guaged holes (about 2x4 inches.) Maybe baby coons or possums could get in, but could the babies kill a full grown bird? I don't think we have problems with weasels in our area. I'm trying to use what I already have vs. buying more. $$ and all......
I use 1/2" hardware cloth .. that's what it's known as. Hope this helps! :)

I used a combination of wire fencing and hardware cloth. The run consists of 2" x 4" fence wire with the lower three feet of the fence covered with an additional layer of 1/2" hardware cloth. All of the roof vents, soffit vents, and windows are covered with 1/4" hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom