Doughy Crop – with hard stuff in it!

Okay all!
So several days after we lost Ethel - we found that the same thing had happened to an American that we have named "Gidget". We took her to the vet to learn more. Now we are on a mineral oil and vitamin water fill up in the morning and at night.
My question is, how long can it take for a bird to pass something like this? How long has it taken you all to have your birds pass an obstruction? (Days, weeks, months???)

I'm really sorry you are having trouble with another bird.
Normally food can pass through their system in as little as 20 minutes to several hours. So a blockage or impaction that lasts days can become dire pretty quick. Did the vet identify where the blockage is? Where it is and what it is makes a difference. Some things by nature are easier to pass than others.
I've only dealt with one true blockage/impaction, and necropsy showed a underdeveloped/deformed gizzard. Most of my other crop issues have been secondary to another condition that caused everything to slow down (salpingitis, internal laying). Some virus's and bacterial infections can cause it too, and worms.
If the blockage does not pass, the bird will either slowly starve, or secondary infection will set in.
I wish you much luck and hope this one pulls through. If not I'd really recommend you get a necropsy done. That way you know for sure, and whether it's caused by foreign matter or if there is a pathological cause underlying it. If your birds are getting into something that is causing obstructions, you need to know so you can prevent more. I'd also look at the feed if nothing foreign is causing the blockage. And make sure they have access to grit always.
Here is a link to a pretty good article on the digestive system: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ASC/ASC203/ASC203.pdf
And as another resource there is this: http://www.justanswer.com/
You can select birds under the Vet tab and get questions answered by an Avian expert. I've never used it (just have it bookmarked) so can't speak to it personally, but thought I'd pass it on.
Sometimes we do everything right, and something still goes wrong.
Best of luck.

Coach723!!!
This is very helpful! Thank you so much. Last night after I posted this, we got a tightly wadded fine grass poo out of her, but this morning her crop was still full. If nothing gets better soon, we'll definitely be doing a necropsy. Thanks for the links and the time. I'll keep you posted on what the outcome is.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom