Doughy crop???

Hi, sorry to hear about your hen. We will need a bit more information to help you.

1. How is she doing today?
2. When you say doughy crop, did you feel her crop first thing in the morning before she has eaten and it feels doughy then?
3. Does her breath smell bad?
4. Is she not eating, drinking, or pooping at all?
5. How old is your hen?
6. What are you feeding them?
7. Are you providing free choice grit and oyster shell?
8. What are her other symptoms (nasal discharge, wheezing, lethargy, etc.)?

Bumping for more views as well.

I did identify it as doughy/impacted crop. I used the massage and dulcolax along with some electrolytes and vitamins. No food. Felt it last night and first thing this am. It definitely was smaller but still felt like dough. Repeated same things today. She has much more pep today and walking fine, no closed eyes and *hiding*. How many days till it gets back to normal size? Am I doing the right thing and can I repeat this same program more days as it seems to be helping alot? Thank you for your previous help!!🤗🤗

I did identify it as doughy/impacted crop. I used the massage and dulcolax along with some electrolytes and vitamins. No food. Felt it last night and first thing this am. It definitely was smaller but still felt like dough. Repeated same things today. She has much more pep today and walking fine, no closed eyes and *hiding*. How many days till it gets back to normal size? Am I doing the right thing and can I repeat this same program more days as it seems to be helping alot? Thank you for your previous help!!🤗🤗
I wouldn't go more than 3 days with the stool softener.
Give her the coconut oil 2X a day and gently massage the crop.
Is she drinking o.k.? She definitely needs to be drinking.
You can offer a little wet feed too or a bit of scrambled egg - nothing hard to "process" like scratch/seeds/corn.

Crop issues can take a while to resolve and it also depends on why the crop is not emptying. Often there is an underlying issue like reproductive problems, worms, coccidiosis, infection or blockage.

I'm glad she's doing a little better! Keep us posted.

She's drinking fine. I will do this for 1more day then and then do the coconut oil. I have the solid. Now how much, how to give her and for how many days? Sorry for so many questions, just never had this happen to me/her before. Thank you so much for your time and help!🤗

Freeze 1 tsp of coconut oil to harden it, then break into small chunks. My birds love it and will eat it right up. Once she's eaten it, it will melt quickly in the crop. Massage. Do this a couple of times a day.

The coconut oil, I would do for several days...it won't hurt her at all.

Back
Top Bottom