Douglasville Ga ordinances help interput

Durso81

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Douglasville, Ga
So I am thinking about getting chickens so I emailed Douglas County for there chicken ordinances and I am confused. I need to figure out what I am zonned but evan then I still confused because for zonning In the A-G, R-A and R-LD districts I can have no more then 6 per 1 acre but in section 319(a) there is a acreage restriction of 10 acres. Here is the email I recieved back from them help interput please, I am completly new to this.

Douglas County Code of Ordinances
Sec. 5-41
. - Animal or fowl enclosures.
It shall be unlawful for any person to have, control or possess any pasture or enclosure for livestock or fowl in any fashion not authorized by the zoning ordinances of the county. See Appendix A, containing the Douglas County Zoning Ordinance. All pastures or enclosures shall at all times be kept and maintained in a proper, clean and sanitary condition.

Sec. 5-42. - Confinement of animals generally, vicious animals, etc.
(h) It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having control of any chickens, ducks, horses, cows, goats, pigs or any other type of animal, livestock or other fowl within the county to permit them to run at large or be a menace or nuisance to such person's neighbors or the public in general.

Appendix A – Unified Development Code
313 (b) 
Customary accessory uses to a dwelling.
(6) Domesticated animals will be allowed subject to the following conditions:
a. In the AG and R-A districts associated with a commercial farming activity.
b. In the A-G, R-A and R-LD districts, horses, mules, donkeys, goats, swine and ponies for the personal use and pleasure of the family residing on the property at the rate of not more than one (1) such animal per one (1) full acre of land; plus no more than six (6) poultry, pigeons, rabbits and other similar animals typically considered to be pets for the personal use and pleasure of the family residing on the premises. The one (1) full acre of land must be entirely contained within the boundaries of the parcel where the keeping of said animals will occur.
c. In all residential districts, dogs and cats raised outside for the personal pleasure of the resident of the lot, not to exceed a total of four such mature animals per dwelling.

(7) Quarters for the keeping of domestic pets (such as a doghouse) owned by the occupants of the dwelling for non-commercial purposes. Pens housing dogs shall be a minimum of 25 feet from all property lines. For kennels, see Sec. 319

(8) When allowed, a barn, shed, pen, corral, other structure to house, shelter, or confine farm animals such as horses, mules, ponies, sheep, goats, rabbits, or poultry provided said structure to be placed in the rear yard and be at least 100 feet from every property line. Additional distance may be required by Sec. 302

Sec. 319 - Boarding and breeding of animals.
Boarding and/or breeding kennels, non-profit animal rescue corporations and the raising of non-domestic animals (such as horses, cattle, poultry, goats and sheep) or wild and exotic animals must comply with the following requirements: (Amended 11/06/08, TXT2008-05, § 1

319 (a) Acreage restrictions. (Amended 02/2005)
(1) The keeping of cattle, poultry and other non-domestic animals other than feedlots and hog parlors shall require not less than 10 acres in area.

First you'll need to determine if you're within the city limits of Douglasville or just in Douglas County. That will make a big difference. Within the city limits, city code applies. In the county, county code applies. And they're likely to be different.

From what you posted it seems as though the 10-acre restriction is directed at animals kept for commercial purposes.

Here is how to find out what your zoning is: http://gis.co.douglas.ga.us/douglas_adf/

Punch your address into there, hit "Zoning" under Set Map View on the upper right and zoom in until you see your zoning code. If you're inside the gray area, you're within Douglasville city limits. Let us know and we can help you from there.

Last edited:
First you'll need to determine if you're within the city limits of Douglasville or just in Douglas County. That will make a big difference. Within the city limits, city code applies. In the county, county code applies. And they're likely to be different.

From what you posted it seems as though the 10-acre restriction is directed at animals kept for commercial purposes.

Here is how to find out what your zoning is: http://gis.co.douglas.ga.us/douglas_adf/

Punch your address into there, hit "Zoning" under Set Map View on the upper right and zoom in until you see your zoning code. If you're inside the gray area, you're within Douglasville city limits. Let us know and we can help you from there.
Thanks for the link. I am literally right on the edge just outside the gray. It says I'm zoned R-TC which is Townhome condominium which is weird I live in a house. Whats your thought?

That is really strange, when I look at the map I also see what are clearly entire subdivisions of single family detached homes zoned R-TC. It might have to do with the lot size. Maybe they should be rezoned?

Here is the zoning ordinance for Douglas County, specifically the table of permitted uses for each zone: http://library.municode.com/HTML/14690/level1/ART2USLAST.html#ART2USLAST_S210USALEAZODI

It looks like only Agricultural and Residential-Agricultural zones are permitted poultry. The code they sent you also mentions Residential-Low Density, that may have been grandfathered in, or else it's a special exception. In any case, that does not include Residential-Townhome/Condominium. I'm sorry. :\

If you are really motivated to get chickens, it looks as though your options are to a) talk to the neighbors and hope they're okay with it (which still doesn't guarantee someone won't peek into your yard and report you) or b) get the ordinance changed, which can be a daunting task if your county government isn't supportive.

There is a group of Atlanta-area backyard chicken owners that meet in Douglasville every month. You can find more information on here: http://www.meetup.com/chickens/

They might be good to talk to about how to go forward if you're still set on chickens. Sorry I don't have better news for you and good luck!

Also maybe call or email the Zoning Dept. and have them check your zoning designation for you just to be sure, because I still think it's weird to have houses in a "townhome" zone.

Also maybe call or email the Zoning Dept. and have them check your zoning designation for you just to be sure, because I still think it's weird to have houses in a "townhome" zone.

I emailed the zoning department to see what they say. I do agree it's very weird, specially since my brother in laws neighborhood across the street is R-A and its the same neighborhood as mine.

Hello.I am a new member and I lives near Douglasville.This is an off the subject question but I need help.We have a private lake behind my house that my sweet elderly neighbor owns and we have just had baby black ducks about 3 weeks ago.the momma duck decided to bring them to my I ground pool that is broken and only water fills up half.Well we got alot of rain today and I think it has drownded most of the babies and they have died..all except 2 I was able to save and dry off.Now I don't know how to care for them.I need help.I need someone to take them because we already have 2 dogs and 1 cat and I just can't.please look for mrs Gina penny from Douglasville.I know she would take them for me .i just don't have her number any more.

Hi, I'm in Lithia Springs so we can't be too far apart. Send me a PM with contact info and I'll try to get with you tomorrow afternoon, Sunday 9-22.

I would also like to talk to the lady that posted above Durso81 if you are still reading the BYC Forum. Please send me a PM Message.

If either of you don't know how to send Pms then post here and I'll send you a pm or tell you how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom