Dove Hatchlings

Quote:
note info on hand feeding parakeets,note crop milk.

Hello Sally! Budgies can still be hand-tamed even though the parents are feeding them. All my hand-tame babies are actually feed by the parents! It is more healthier for the babies to be fed by the parents because the mother produces a crop milk that avian store bought formula could never match. Over all a parent fed budgie will be healthier. Once they get older and start to eat millet and normal food, you can offer them different types of food. Babies will try almost anything, so nows your chance. They like the insides of cherry tomatoes, peeled grapes, millet spray, leafy greens, cooked pasta and ect. You can start handling them now. The mother will not care if her babies are handled. Nows the time to do it because you don't want the babies to have the fear of humans imprinted in their head. Spend loads of time with them, carry the babies around in your coat pocket, while at the computer have them snuggled in a shirt, when your eating include them in your meal. Once they learn to perch, then you can start teaching them the step up command. This is easily taught by repeating the word step up over and over again as you have them step up on your finger. They will get it eventually. Handle their wings, touch their tail and rub their beak to get them used to being touched. Time is the most important thing in raising tame chicks. The more time you spend with your babies, the more the will become tame. Even skipping one day of spending time with them will make a huge difference in how they act. Its worth the wait, your babies will be wonderful companions. good luck!

Yes Parrots can also be tamed without hand feeding, have tamed hundreds. Same as tha Budgie

Last edited:
. On about the 18th day, the first egg should hatch. The other eggs will hatch out about every other day, in the order that they were laid. Newborn chicks are totally blind and helpless. The female budgie will feed them on their backs. You can tell if they are being fed properly if you can see their tiny crops full of whitish crop milk.

Taken from a budgie site. Also I have seen the crop milk in the young birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is what it says:

"Crops tend to be especially well developed in pigeons and game birds."

Nothing about them feeding crop milk. I am done on this subject. I am finished debating this back and forth. I have my opinion and you have yours. Case closed for me.

Last edited:
let's not start fighting over this...it's OT.

This is simply a thread to talk about my new baby doves. Yes the person was wrong for selling them but I'm not getting into it!
Thank you everyone for your consideration!

Duck,
Glad you found these and have the two cute doves now..
I know it must be alot of hard work , but I am praying they will make it through with all your care!
Please post more pics as they grow!

My daughter would love a pair of diamond doves..and I just keep saying maybe sometime...(lol)

Back
Top Bottom