Dove recently aggressive

No longer allows me to touch or pet him like I used to. Is this something that can be corrected?

Most pigeons in captivity for generations display this same conduct.

The best solution may be to release it back into the wild. However that may spell certain death as it does not have the skills to survive. If I were in your situation I would place it outside in the yard confined in a cage with ample water and food. I would also have feed outside the cage and hope your dove attracted other turtle doves. Then when I thought the timing was right I would release your dove from a far with a cord or string in the company of other doves. Leaving the cage open in case your dove chooses captivity over freedom. I would also band her just in case she may have further contact with you.

P.S. Turtle doves have some homing instinct (not comparable to pigeons however).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice,

I live in Japan. They have pet shops but no doves. I've tried to release it and kept it outside but live in a city so I don't have a big outdoor area to build an aviary unfortunately. I talked with vets and rehabers and tried to release him but he would just come back after an hour and sit in the corner near the apartment for the rest of the day and not eat. The rehaber said he was probably too imprinted and would not survive. I tried to keep contact to a minimum while raising him and took him to parks but he never took to it. I never planned to keep him but don't have the heart to euthanize him or have him starve or freeze to death at this point.. I guess I'm selfish but He seems happy and relaxed and likes to be near me but doesn't like to be touched. Probably because I tried not to touch him much until discovering he was not fit for release. After that I handled him often but recently he's been testy. If you have any more advice that I could use please let me know.

They also have no rehabbing here. All the centers said the only thing to do was take it to the woods far away and drop him off. I contacted vets and rehabbers in the US for help.

I think the pet shop could order you a ring neck dove no problem. They are commonly kept in Asia as symbol of peace and love. Or you might find on by searching online.

Update Zephyr the dove is doing great. I think it's a girl. She is much more affectionate now I think she was being a moody teen. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom