Down to 2 Roos

Love My Chickies

Songster
May 24, 2021
Texas City, TX
If anyone has read my posts, you know I was up to 4 roosters. I only have 4 girls. We are in the process of building a new coop and were planning on a bachelor coop. However, it looked like my original group of 3 boys were not going to accept the newer roo, Eggnog. I was lucky to find him a nice new home where he can live out his days with lots of girls. He just left yesterday. I'm sad, but I had to. My original roo, Honey, has been becoming aggressive. I've found him a new home and he is leaving on Tuesday. Now I'm down to 2. Neither has been aggressive and I'm hoping that lasts. I'm trying to decide if I want to integrate them with my girls. I want to get more hens for them. No more babies, I want to get some that are old enough to be sexed correctly. No more roos please. The pictures are Eggnog, Honey, and my latest battle scars.
IMG_20210912_090745090.jpg
IMG_20210805_182912165_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210925_125853386.jpg

If anyone has read my posts, you know I was up to 4 roosters. I only have 4 girls. We are in the process of building a new coop and were planning on a bachelor coop. However, it looked like my original group of 3 boys were not going to accept the newer roo, Eggnog. I was lucky to find him a nice new home where he can live out his days with lots of girls. He just left yesterday. I'm sad, but I had to. My original roo, Honey, has been becoming aggressive. I've found him a new home and he is leaving on Tuesday. Now I'm down to 2. Neither has been aggressive and I'm hoping that lasts. I'm trying to decide if I want to integrate them with my girls. I want to get more hens for them. No more babies, I want to get some that are old enough to be sexed correctly. No more roos please. The pictures are Eggnog, Honey, and my latest battle scars.View attachment 2846806View attachment 2846807View attachment 2846808
Once you introduce them to the girls, the boys will fight to determine dominanace.
Cockerels will often tag team a pullet and the girls will be very stressed. Unless you have a very large coop and a very large area for them to have territories and their own girls, they are likely to fight often and one will always be looking over his shoulder or for his opportunity to try to take down the senior rooster and take the flock.
I recommend you get down to your best cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom