Downsize Complete 4Now- SW Washington - Need to Downsize Flock / Hens

MikeJanet

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 9, 2008
SW Washington
*******7/12/09 Downsized by 1/3 so we'll see how I do with just 24 hens :) thanks for the inquiries******

Hi everyone I’m looking to downsize my flock a bit so I’m hoping to re-home some of my hens. All but 4 are just a year old and have been raised free range. When not free ranging they are fenced on approximately .5-.75 acre. Some are more social with people than others, all come running for scratch, most prefer not to be touched or held, but each evening when I count them for the night I generally rub a chest with my finger and talk to each one which seems tolerable to most enjoyable to others. I’ve tried over and over to choose which birds I’m most willing to give up but have a terrible time choosing so I thought I might as well allow interest homes to choose from the group.

I’m asking for responsible homes which can provide sufficient housing, space to stretch their legs, and tend to any medical needs which may arise. I’m not asking they never be killed or processed, just that it be done in a quick & humane manner.

1 YEAR OLD HENS HATCHED OR PURCHASED AS CHICKS IN 2008

7/4 NO LONGER AVAILIBLE -Ameraucana: 3 Black, 1 BlueBlk, 2 Blue, 2 Buff. Lay med size eggs. Great foragers, hatched 7/2008. Buff lays blu/grn egg, Blu/Blk lay nice blue , 1 black hatched 11/2008 lays a light blue egg. Eggs from Pips&peeps Eastern Washington

Andalusian: 5 Blues, consistent layers of med to xlarge white eggs, great foragers, active, best allowed to free range, purchased as chicks August 2008

Australorp: 2 Black, Quiet brown egg layer, purchased as chicks April 2008

Millie Fluer Leghorn: 1, Quiet lays off white small eggs, purchased as chick August 2008

7/4 NO LONGER AVAILIBLE - ALL MARANS ARE SPOKEN FOR, EXCEPT THE ROOSTERS OF COURSE (big surprise):
2 Copper Black, 1Blue, 1Splash lay large-xlarge eggs.

2 Copper Blacks hatched from eggs purchased from BayhorseBonnie on ebay April 2008. Very nice calm quiet, have feathered legs, lay beautiful dark eggs, go broody and are fabulous mothers – named Daisy & Delilah.

Blue & Splash hens hatched from eggs purchased off eggbid (sorry can’t remember who) one lays a fairly dark egg the other just med with speckles. Nice calm quiet – neither have showed any broodiness.

I also have 3 pullets 2 CB & 1 Splash. Eggs purchased from Cree Farms, hatched 3/21/09. These are nice little pullets especially the splash, however the two CB’s have fused outer toe to middle toe, both feet on one and 1 foot on the other so not good for breeding. These girls are not laying yet, but were hatched from nice dark eggs and are looking to be pretty little hens.

I don’t have any CB roosters but I do have 3 blue & 1 really nice splash hatched 3/21/09 which my father plans on putting in his freezer come August unless someone would like one for breeding.

2 YEAR OLD HENS

Wyandotte Golden Laced: 2 purchased as chicks June 2007, M’Lynn & Zilla (short for grump, but she’s not a mean hen just our dominate hen who doesn’t take any attitude from the youngsters)

Thanks for looking.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the plug tailfeathers, and you're right about Jean & Lisa which of course is why I purchased from them
big_smile.png
. It's actually quite difficult to give them up, but I really do need to downsize my flock at least for the time being.

Thanks again.

**************Update ************

Marans

As I should have guessed I have a few inquiries on the Marans, so for now I'm going to consider them spoken for. I'll post if they become availible.

Thanks
Janet

Back
Top Bottom