Doxyvet Liquid ? Tired hen, droopy wings, hunched back.

Dustcollector

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have a 2 month-old polish chick that suddenly keep sitting down and looking so tired.And with Droopy wings and hunched back.

Still eating with decreased appetite and enthusiasm. Eyes are clear but noticed it’s a little wet at the “eyelid”

I’ve separated her and added 1ml of Doxyvet into her 100ml water.

Tried feeding her hard boiled eggs but no interest. Only blueberries and chicken feed.

Is there anything else I can do?

No diarrhea and poop looks normal.

Can I also feed Doxyvet to my other chicks who have no signs and symptoms? But am afraid some unknown disease or illness may have spread?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have a 2 month-old polish chick that suddenly keep sitting down and looking so tired.And with Droopy wings and hunched back.

Still eating with decreased appetite and enthusiasm. Eyes are clear but noticed it’s a little wet at the “eyelid”

I’ve separated her and added 1ml of Doxyvet into her 100ml water.

Tried feeding her hard boiled eggs but no interest. Only blueberries and chicken feed.

Is there anything else I can do?

No diarrhea and poop looks normal.

Can I also feed Doxyvet to my other chicks who have no signs and symptoms? But am afraid some unknown disease or illness may have spread?

Thank you.
Can you post some photos of you pullet, her eye and her poop?
Droopy wings and hunched back, I would suspect Coccidiosis.
Knowing your location (state/country) would be helpful too.

Can you get some Corid (Amprolium)?

When using antibiotics, you only want to treat a bird that has symptoms, so don't treat the other unless they are sick.

Can you post some photos of you pullet, her eye and her poop?
Droopy wings and hunched back, I would suspect Coccidiosis.
Knowing your location (state/country) would be helpful too.

Can you get some Corid (Amprolium)?

When using antibiotics, you only want to treat a bird that has symptoms, so don't treat the other unless they are sick.

Hi,

Here are some photos:

I’m only able to get Doxyvet liquid. As you can see, she look so tired and keep sleeping!

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 9B51F366-2498-47DF-A74F-FDE99D96C362.jpeg
    9B51F366-2498-47DF-A74F-FDE99D96C362.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 86206058-D57B-40CC-9422-C8ECEC81F97E.jpeg
    86206058-D57B-40CC-9422-C8ECEC81F97E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 619269E9-0666-4278-ABCB-C792C8E16FEA.jpeg
    619269E9-0666-4278-ABCB-C792C8E16FEA.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 5
  • AB80E85F-12A8-4DC5-B7D4-5B03CCEBAC88.jpeg
    AB80E85F-12A8-4DC5-B7D4-5B03CCEBAC88.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 4
Hi,

Here are some photos:

I’m only able to get Doxyvet liquid. As you can see, she look so tired and keep sleeping!

Thank you in advance.
Knowing your location would be very helpful - State/Country??

I would probably still give her the Doxyvet, but she is very droopy.
Can you not get some Amprolium - it is a Coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. If you are not in the US it may be sold as Coxoid or a similar name.

Greetings Dustcollector,

Wyorp Rock is right, you should consider coccidiosis as the cause of the pullets lethargy. Coccidiosis is the most common problem for youngsters. It's also best not to treat the rest of the flock with antibiotics if they aren't sick.

The poop is not firm, instead it is soft and loose looking. It has bulk which indicates that the pullet is eating, that is good. You even state that the pullet is eating feed. But, her body posture and lethargy are indicating illness.

If you could have a sample of her poop taken to a vet for a fecal float test, that would confirm or rule out coccidiosis.

The next thing I would do is take her temperature. Her normal temperature should be about 106 degrees Fahrenheit. A temperature of 1- 5 degrees higher, will indicate she has a fever, and is possibly fighting an infection. Because you describe "a little wet, at the eyelid", it is possible that she is in the beginning stage of a respiratory illness, so keep her separated till you know what is wrong. Also, be vigilant for similar symptoms in any of the other flock members.

If the pullet has coccidiosis, the Doxyvet will not help her, and she will continue to decline. So, a fecal float test is needed. Also, if she does not drink enough water the Doxyvet, she may not recover if she has an infection. Oral administration may be a better way to go. But continue the Doxy for now.

However, if you have some Albon (sulfadimethoxine), that would treat coccidiosis, and may even help her recover from an infection, such as Coryza, that is susceptable.

An herbal remedy such as Goldenseal is also used to treat coccidiosis, and some minor infections, if started early, before the chicken is too weak.

The very best thing to do for the pullet, would be to take her to see a vet. Especially if you do not have access to appropriate medications.

Taking too long to give medical attention and misdiagnosis, are the most common causes of death in a chicken.

But, if a vet is not an option, the members here at BYC will give you suggestions. These are my thoughts on your pullets issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom