Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde bird

Roseynose

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Are sudden behavior changes normal? So suddenly my 9 week old sweet little cuddly roo decided to act like a crazy testosterone raging angry bird. He is trying to crow (which is hilarious) he started pecking and plucking the pullets feathers, dive bombing them from the roost bar, and he runs at them screeching. He even tried to peck and scratch me, I separated him from the rest and he stamps around, screeches, picked up a feather from the ground and shook it around like a dog trying to kill his pray. What the heck!? I put him back with the girls he tried attacking them again so threw in some peas and dried bugs to distract him. now they are in the coop and he is being good and cuddling with them. What should I do when this happens? Should I intervene? Is this a temporary thing? Is this normal? He was so sweet before.

Are sudden behavior changes normal? So suddenly my 9 week old sweet little cuddly roo decided to act like a crazy testosterone raging angry bird. He is trying to crow (which is hilarious) he started pecking and plucking the pullets feathers, dive bombing them from the roost bar, and he runs at them screeching. He even tried to peck and scratch me, I separated him from the rest and he stamps around, screeches, picked up a feather from the ground and shook it around like a dog trying to kill his pray. What the heck!? I put him back with the girls he tried attacking them again so threw in some peas and dried bugs to distract him. now they are in the coop and he is being good and cuddling with them. What should I do when this happens? Should I intervene? Is this a temporary thing? Is this normal? He was so sweet before.
Whew! Hormones have kicked in for your guy!

Many people separate them until they are a little older and past the raging hormones. But that doesn't sound like the signs of a good rooster...

Whew! Hormones have kicked in for your guy!

Many people separate them until they are a little older and past the raging hormones. But that doesn't sound like the signs of a good rooster...
He has been growing up with the pullets so I never thought of needing to keep him separated. So you think he will stay like this?

I made that mistake, too, because I didn't know mine was male for months. He's pretty awful now towards ONLY me. Luckily, he's really tiny and can't hurt me. I have another cockerel now. I've been hands off with him. We'll see if that helps.

He did get a bit better with age, but not enough to make my life with him easier.

You're likely not going to have an easy time training him to respect you, he's gotten used to the idea of you aren't a threat.
Really!? Well poo. Is there anything I can do? He was supposed to be a pullet with great wilco accuracy. Ive gotten attached to all my chickens as this is my first experience with them. So I don't want him to go. Another thing I realized is he attacks the others when I pet them or give them attention even call there name. Could he just be real possessive with them? Could this be how he claims them? They are all getting along this morning so far. I didn't individually greet them this morning like usual because angry bantam roo. Before 3 days ago he was a sweet little bird. Although he did always squawk at them if I picked any of them up.

Really!? Well poo. Is there anything I can do? He was supposed to be a pullet with great wilco accuracy. Ive gotten attached to all my chickens as this is my first experience with them. So I don't want him to go. Another thing I realized is he attacks the others when I pet them or give them attention even call there name. Could he just be real possessive with them? Could this be how he claims them? They are all getting along this morning so far. I didn't individually greet them this morning like usual because angry bantam roo. Before 3 days ago he was a sweet little bird. Although he did always squawk at them if I picked any of them up.
He's claiming them yes, but not the way a good rooster does. He shouldn't be attacking you or his hens.

Back
Top Bottom