draft curtain

Rustywreck

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
Solon Springs, Wisconsin
I have been thinking of putting some kind of plastic or cloth curtain over the "chicken door" to the coop, the exit the chickens use to get into the run.
During these in between seasons when there is no snow they still want to be outside during the day; yet it is still cold, it would be nice if there was a curtain of some sort they could walk through that would keep some of the cold and draft out of the coop.
Has anyone had any success using such a thing?

How big is your chicken door? It probably isn't bigger than the open front of my coop below. So there is really no need to worry about putting up any curtain. They will be OK.
Jack

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

Sorry, what I meant was a door curtain that they would walk through, like you might see in a walk out freezer: they could walk or push through it to get in or out, yet it would provide some protection from wind or cold.
I'm not sure they'd be willing to push themselves through.

Like a doggy door for chickens? I wouldn't use anything they are able to ingest (gunny sack material or drapery, etc). Maybe a light rubber sheeting would work. Then again, just remember that when you do that, whatever can get out can also get in IE: predators.

I have done something that is a different approach but does keep some of the cold and draft out of the coop. It is a an arctic entry way made out of a couple of pallets and some scrap plywood. It makes a noticeable difference inside the coop.

Looking through it to the coop.

THAT's a pretty cool idea. I have been toying with the idea of using a "freezer" curtain as well. I have a couple of younger birds that roost on the steps (inside). They simply will not (or are not allowed by the others) to roost inside. Hoping this may keep some of the sparrows out of the coop as well.

Every hole is either wired (to keep out the sparrows) or sealed (windows with screens for summer) this is the one and only place to let in a lot of cold (and wild birds, LOL)

I used heavy weight clear plastic tarp. It's secured above the door with a piece of 1x2. I started with just one piece that covered only two-thirds of the doorway, so they would get used to it. Then I added the second piece and overlapped them a couple of inches. I had to use some duct tape to slant it some so they would get used to having to push through at the point of the overlap. But now that's gone, too. So it's just 2 pieces of plastic overlapped at the center. I notice that when there's a good wind it gets blown open some, but when the gust dies down the plastic settles back into place. I feel better about not having the wind blowing in. There's plenty of ventilation above them so there's no worry about condensation for us.

How about knitting sweaters for your birds.....LOL I have seen entrance shelters built, some resemble airline boarding entries to block wind, and rain and such. or some allow the birds to walk out the coop opening, then must turn left or right, through an entry cover, made of plywood, blocks a lot of wind and keeps snow and rain out.....

Last edited:
Sweaters would be nice, but I can't knit.
Carolyn, the heavy, clear plastic is kinda what I had in mind. I may have to give your approach of partially blocking the door at first a try.
The door leads from the coop to the run, so it is secure.
I have been thinking way over the top (as usual), and coming up with some kind of weight triggered switch and a solid door: step on a button, the door opens and stays open for 15 seconds or so. However, I'm trying to not let myself get out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom