Drafty Coop

Nmarine1057

Crowing
11 Years
May 31, 2011
Byhalia Ms
Hey guys, I have a drafy coop thats great for summer time, but now that winter is right around the corner should I be woried about my chickens freezing?

Here's a pic
DSC00490.jpg

I love your Coop. I would put up storm panels of plywood for winter time and make them hook up and latch down to remove them for summer once again. Number them so your hardware fits properly each time. Now you would have the best of both worlds or leave some up for more concealment.

Steve

Last edited:
If you find it to be a problem with rain and snow getting in on one side, you could put a tarp on that side. Growing up when I was a kid, our chickens were in a big barn that always had it's door open. Definitely drafty- and they did just fine. I think they need a good place to get out of the wind and weather. But it doesn't have to be expensive- tarps or even screwing in a plywood board might do the trick. Looks like a great coop at any other time! We have large turkey barns near us- and the barns use the same concept that you have with your open coop. Basically the turkey barns have a top and about 3 feet of board along the bottom- just like you! Then during the winter, I've seen them roll down the tarps that hang at the top from the roof. But even then- I've seen them leave it open in REALLY cold weather! So they must be able to handle it. Of course, there are about 10,000 birds in a barn, so I bet they generate a LOT of heat, too!

Awesome ideas guys, im thnking about using plexy glass if it's not to expensive. If its to expensive ill have to go another route so it will depend on which item is cheapest. Thanks for all the great ideas!

OH! Just had a good idea! The plexi glass is pretty expensive... buuuut, if you are wanting something clear and see- thru then what about the clear plastic corrugated roofing panels at Lowes? They are about $14-19 a sheet and one sheet would probably cover an entire side or more. You could also use tarp, too. If you have a Habitat ReStore near you, you could check them out for something, too. Never know what you might find as their stock changes daily.

I believe the clear, corrugated (roofing) panels are 30 in. wide I believe (would that be wide enough to cover those top strips?), and comes in 8 and 12 ft. lenghts. That would def. be cheaper than plexiglass. Tarps would work if they were well secured. Plywood too. If you choose something opaque, you could always use clear vinyl on the "front" section to allow light in - it's pretty heavy duty - can be bought at most fabric stores...

The past couple of years have gotten pretty cold snow busted pipes the works but chickens were in smaller walled in coop. The plastic corrugate soinds like a GREAT idea!!!! Is it like plastic wrap or is it different?

Back
Top Bottom