Dragon was Killed EDIT: Pip Killed

Aww I am sorry for your loss. It is horrible when your favorite pet dies. Today we were doing lots of yard work and I worked in the pen too. I picked up all the remaining feathers from the two attacks and took some of the feathers I picked up and put them on Pip and Dragon's grave. For Dragon I got two eye feathers in the pen from him and then got a bit green and purple flower and some trumpet-like flower that was bright red and orange then a small yellow flower and weighed the feathers and flowers over the grave with a brick. It looked really colorful. I didn't bury Pip and hadn't even seen her grave until today. My parents did a nice job it was a nice little mound with broken up bricks on top of it. I stuck one of her wing feathers on top with a hot pink crepe myrtle flower and one train feather from Alto, who is not dead but he was her best friend and mate.

It might have just been the time of the year were there wasn't much for the raccoons to eat so they ventured into the pen. Now the muscadines are ripe and my dad said that is probably what the raccoons are after now and soon the acorns will be ready so there will be plenty for them to eat once again. Hopefully all that taste better than peafowl and I am sure it is much easier to get than peafowl.

Aww... Minx I'm sorry.
hit.gif
I haven't been on BYC in a while but I always come and look for your posts even though I don't have peofowl (yet), I couldn't believe my eyes when I came across your thread. Again, I'm sorry... hopefully yall can get the coons caught quickly.

So sad. Your story gives me flashbacks of chasing the neighbor's dog with my little brown cochin in it's mouth. Although I was fortunate to save her, I'm really paranoid now. I don't want to lose my little friend (we watch TV together too). May time heal your heart.

Quote:

Quote:
Oh I hope you get peafowl soon.
smile.png
Yes it does disturb me that we still haven't caught them. Knowing that at least two big, smart raccoons are out there that know about my peafowl pen and what is in it is not very comforting, but I think Ice had peachicks at a great time, they have really made me happy and it isn't so sad anymore. It does feel empty in the pen though without Dragon overseeing everything and Alto displaying to Pip and following her around like a stalker. Damsel and Alto seem like they barely know each other...They don't roost together. I just feel like that friendship the peafowl had before is kinda gone. Two key peafowl are gone from the gang. The dominant peacock and the lowest ranking peahen so now everyone seems maybe confused. It is weird for Alto to be the only peacock all of a sudden. I wasn't expecting a young little peacock to be my dominant peacock but he deserves his new position after surviving an attack. I do feel a bit sad, but it happens I knew one day Dragon would die, I was just hopping for more years than I got with him, and Pip I just never pictured her dying anytime soon and leaving poor Alto.

A predator attack with the culprits not being caught yet sounds scary. As everyone says, "they'll be back". I hope you were able to modify their coop some more to make it predator resistant so this tragic event never happens again.

I think my dad put up a hot wire out at the pen today. We leave a light on now out at the pen in the hopes that even if it doesn't scare away predators if the peafowl get attacked on the roost they should be able to see better to get away.

Back
Top Bottom