MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
hit.gif
R.I.P Dragon my four year old pied peacock
hit.gif

Holding his train when I first got him into the pen.
IMG_2277.jpg

My avatar picture.
IMG_2466.jpg

Me and Dragon.
IMG_2730.jpg

Petting his train.
MyhandonDragonBirdstrain.jpg

Signature I made with Dragon's photos a while ago (you can use it if you want).
Peafowlnotjustforshow.png

One of my favorite Dragon train pictures...
Awhiteeyeinaseaofcolor.jpg

Dragon in his kingdom (pen).
IMG_5087.jpg

Displaying as a four year old.
IMG_5113.jpg

Thank you God for giving me a precious gift like Dragon. He was a perfect peacock that was kind to the other peafowl and stopped a few squabbles with the peahens. He loved all the peahens and whenever the peahens walked up he would stop what he was doing and bow his glistening blue neck low so that his beak touched the ground begging for a peahen to come over and gently peck at his face. He didn't call too much, mainly when he heard a strange noise but he was always an attention grabber when friends or family came over to see the peafowl. He always put on a show displaying for visitors and getting some laughs. He never was mean to me and was always pretty shy around me. He occasionally would eat peanuts out of my hand and 2 or 3 times gave me the treat of eating out of my hand while displaying giving me a front row seat to his beautiful show. I was talking recently on here about how I am still amazed I ever got him. He was in a lonely pen at a breeders with no peahens. I always loved visiting and seeing him display with that one white eye in the center. Then I finally got him. My first pied peacock. I never thought I would only get two spend two short years with this amazing peacock...From now on Dragon lives through his only peachick, Peep. Peep just happens to be a male (I am pretty sure he is at least). Sadly Peep is not a pied, but he is a dark pied. Peep is a very fun little peachick. He likes to run around and the dog likes to chase him around and around the table but Peep likes to sneak up and pull the dog's tail. Ice is on three eggs that would be from Dragon, the eggs are due to hatch soon. I hope all goes well.

Here is his son Peep.
onmyarm.jpg

What Happened...
It was just another day...We were off to feed the peafowl (we keep them two miles away in my grandma's 10 acre yard). Today was hot and I told myself I would feed them all really quickly and get out of the heat. My dad and I pulled up to the pen. Alto was under the tin shelter displaying at Pip. I thought that was very strange...Dragon's main hangout is the tin shelter and it was a big disgrace to Dragon for 2 year old Alto to be showing off. Dragon normally jumps on Alto if he displays when Dragon is around him. Damsel flew down from one of the perches. I got out of the truck and looked up expecting to see Dragon on one of the perches. He wasn't there. I panicked because I knew he would be with the other peafowl especially if they were in his hangout. I went into the pen to see feathers everywhere. No...No....NO nothing bad happened he is just molting I told myself. The few train feathers Dragon had left were scattered around the pen. Then I saw it, well him. There in the corner of the pen next to a small shelter we made for them out of palm fronds was Dragon dead. I said outloud "No no this isn't happening."
th.gif
I couldn't believe of all the peafowl Dragon was killed. I barely looked at his body. All I had to look at to know he was dead is the huge patch of blood. I ran to the house and burst in crying and told my dad and grandma that Dragon was dead. Dad came out to the pen with me and we saw were some of the netting was down. Dad said that some predator probably jumped on the netting making it break. This time I got a better look at Dragon. His neck and head were gone. Eaten. Whatever got him had pulled his neck through the fence and had eaten his neck and head on the other side of the fence. My dad messed with the neck feathers on the other side of the fence. They were still attached to some skin. My dad said it skinned his neck. Then my dad said cats like to eat the head and neck so it might have been a bobcat. Then my dad told me to take Dragon out of the pen so the other peafowl would stop freaking out. Damsel was acting really spooky. I carried Dragon by his legs and set him down outside of the pen. We pulled back Dragon's wings and could then tell that whatever killed him ate some of his sides and breast but barely ate much of his body...What a waste if you are going to kill my beautiful peacock at least eat more than that....Anyways so we are still not sure what it could have been...Other things my dad said could have done it are raccoon, opossum, or a grey fox. My dad said knowing all the things that are out in these woods he is surprised I haven't had one of my peafowl killed until now. We had my mom come and bring a big trap and we baited it with the rest of Dragon in the hopes that we will catch the killer. We fixed the netting and checked the whole pen and looked for any signs that anything dug into the pen but we didn't see anything. We were almost done with the netting when the clouds rolled in and it thundered and poured and my mom threatened us to go home because she didn't want us to get electrocuted so that was that. If you have any idea of what the killer could have been, PLEASE let us know your thoughts...We don't know what we are dealing with and are now worried about the other four peafowl.

I figured I was going to get lots of good years with Dragon until he would pass away, but I had no idea that at four he would be killed. Perhaps he was defending the other peafowl. Whatever happened I know he fought for his life because of all the scattered feathers all over the pen. He fought like a true Dragon.

Thanks for reading, I hope your peafowl stay safe.

Last edited:
Thanks that is a great idea, luckily he has been shedding most of his train so I have lots of his feathers collected. It is so surreal it is going to be weird going to feed the peafowl without seeing Dragon just like it was weird when a kid in a few of my classes at school died...It is just so weird when they are not there...

Quote:
Yea it is a weird feeling then it gets to be an empty space for a while and ya just gotta cry,they become our friends in nature and we miss them so when they are gone
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom