Drake after my 4 week old ducklings

Justjack5

Chirping
Oct 8, 2019
So I put my 4 week old female ducklings in the pen with my 2 hens and 2 drakes and immediately the 2 drakes starting to mount my ducklings. Are they too young? What should I do?

Ok I let the hens stay out with the ducklings a little today and they would push them with their chest and then after a little bit they went and laid next to the drakes who were in a pen and the ducklings were laying together away from them.

I put one of mine in at 3months and the drake mated it to death. She was too small. I would wait till at least 4 months.
Oh wow I had no idea that they would try and mate at such a young age and I have no idea how I will keep them separated for that long. But I will do my best! I may need to rehome my drakes!

Drakes can be very sexually aggressive. I have one Scovie x (buff orp) who if given the choice goes for my call duck females. :smack

While i won't say i haven't successfully had drakes and ducklings together, it was done in a huge flock while free ranging. I also had a real lovely daddy call this summer he stayed with her and the kids straight through.. actually they are all still together.

However, it is a fact. Drakes can kill/injure young.end of.

Back
Top Bottom