Drake after my 4 week old ducklings

Justjack5

Chirping
Oct 8, 2019
So I put my 4 week old female ducklings in the pen with my 2 hens and 2 drakes and immediately the 2 drakes starting to mount my ducklings. Are they too young? What should I do?

Drakes can be very sexually aggressive. I have one Scovie x (buff orp) who if given the choice goes for my call duck females. :smack

While i won't say i haven't successfully had drakes and ducklings together, it was done in a huge flock while free ranging. I also had a real lovely daddy call this summer he stayed with her and the kids straight through.. actually they are all still together.

However, it is a fact. Drakes can kill/injure young.end of.

They aren't, but if something looks "effable" to them, they'll "eff" it, living or dead.

Like with the OP, drakes are very much "if there's grass on the field, we're ready to play." It's why you need to have maybe a 7-10 to 1 ratio of females to males. Too many males will mate/rape the females to death.
I agree about the effing. . mostly. :lau
But the 7-10 females to male ratio?
I don't know how you decided that but not true. Depends on the drake. .and what breed you have. .
I have a Cayuga ratio of I drake for 4 ducks. They are perfectly fine.
Call ducks for example are more likely to pair up and can sometimes be kept in pairs.
Not always, again it depends on the drake.
My call duck book actually recommends not penning more than *I think 2 maybe 3*
Females with one drake because with too many ducks to mate there is the possibility of the drake prolapseing his penis trying to fertilize all of them.

Back
Top Bottom