Drake after my 4 week old ducklings

They aren't, but if something looks "effable" to them, they'll "eff" it, living or dead.

Like with the OP, drakes are very much "if there's grass on the field, we're ready to play." It's why you need to have maybe a 7-10 to 1 ratio of females to males. Too many males will mate/rape the females to death.
I agree about the effing. . mostly. :lau
But the 7-10 females to male ratio?
I don't know how you decided that but not true. Depends on the drake. .and what breed you have. .
I have a Cayuga ratio of I drake for 4 ducks. They are perfectly fine.
Call ducks for example are more likely to pair up and can sometimes be kept in pairs.
Not always, again it depends on the drake.
My call duck book actually recommends not penning more than *I think 2 maybe 3*
Females with one drake because with too many ducks to mate there is the possibility of the drake prolapseing his penis trying to fertilize all of them.

I think the ratio depends on the drake. Mine originally had 2 females and 1 male, and he was fine. Now he has 6 and is not any different from when he had 2. But he is also very mellow in general
Once my hens are mature enough I will have 2 drakes and 8 hens. I hope that will be enough!

I hope so because when this spring comes I'll have 9 females to 2 Runner drakes.
Plus I have 1 Muscovy drake and 4 Musky females. They stick together. But those runners boys can sure not be picky when it comes to who they like. lol I think we're going to be in for some interesting times. lol

so I lost one of my adult hens this morning. I put it in with the other adult hen and the 2 adult drakes. I have still kept the 8 week old ducklings separated. I am not sure what happened but she had cuts to her head and possibly her neck. I am assuming she got her neck caught in the fence...maybe the drake was after her and he wouldn't leave her alone? Not sure... very sad.

Back
Top Bottom