Drake changing color

AliciaM

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Yelm Washington
Is it normal for a male to change his color? I have a snowy call male that, when I got him a little over a month ago, had stripes across his eyes.. but the rest of his head was black.. now, his head is almost completely off whiteish in color...

Oh sorry misread lol
He probably is starting to molt then they will do that every year and they do change alot during that period

It is normal for them to go into eclipse plumage and then change back to nuptial plumage (what you typically see pictured). Whether or not what you are seeing is normal for Snowy depends on what you mean by eye stripes. The changing plumage itself though is normal. Some of mine turn almost solid white, except for some color on the head.

adult male snowys should not have an eye stripe if they are pure, should be a solid green head just like greys or mallards, they do get mottled white white patches this time of year when they molt, never seen one turn solid white headed though. But that's all it's doing regardless, molting to eclipse summer plumage, they will change back in the fall to breeding colors for you

Thanks everyone.. I was worried something was wrong... He didnt have the best of care before I got him and his feathers are realy ragged and dull looking.. When I put fresh water in the pools, I have to go and pick him up and place him in the pool. Today was the first day I actualy saw him enjoying himself in there....And now that its warmer out, I dont have to put him in a pen with a heat lamp to dry off....My other males beat him up, but hes beginning to hold his own..

I worried the same way when my first drake lost his breeding plumage (not sure I really believed it was going to come back). When it did come back in the Fall it was gorgeous. Nature can be a bit of a marvel.

Back
Top Bottom