Drake feather ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckie doodle, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Duckie doodle

Duckie doodle Previously Cparrott

Jun 27, 2019
    My drake khaki campbell has 3 drake feathers. All my other drakes only have 1. So my question is, why? Does he have more testosterone compared to the other drakes?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

My young Runner has 2 thinking he’ll molt both of those then sport one but I’ve seen pics of drakes that have more than one drake feather sure hope it doesn’t mean more testosterone they have too much as it is.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience drake feathers vary from one to many. Perhaps testosterone explains that as well as their sometimes bizarre behaviors.

4. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    My baby boys feathers are starting to curl, looks like more than one will. I also noticed this morning that he is sporting some colorful wing feathers too!

DiYMama540, Cparrott and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    My chocolate boy had the cutest little drake feather and then one day suddenly it was gone. Trust me, it has NOT stopped his hormones!

6. Miss Lydia

Boy that for sure my adult Runner hasn't had one in about 3 -4 months now and he is still going strong. :hmm

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

It's just an individual bird thing. Some say they get more as they mature but that's hocus pocus too because my old Drake that was 5 only ever had two curls and my young Drake has 3..

DiYMama540 and Mybackyardpeepers like this.
  8. Duckie doodle

Duckie doodle Previously Cparrott

Jun 27, 2019
    My young khaki is only 6 months, his brother is same age and has one curl. Interestly my drakes aren't going crazy, humping stuff, they seem pretty laid back for now.

9. Miss Lydia

That’s great my Adult Runner keeps the loving to his 6 females My Muscovy drake to his 4 and my 3 month old Runner drake has had his drake feather for about 3 weeks but isn’t mating yet. He has 3 females.

DuckyDonna and Cparrott like this.
  10. Beaglegal

Beaglegal Chirping

Sep 8, 2019
    Western Washington
    Yeah, I have a Cayuga drake with no drake feather but he just fathered 4 ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: