Drake Jail...need advice

Ok, so i am revisiting this, Winston has zeroed in on Bonkers, one of my Rouens, tonight was too much, her feathers are pulled out on the back of her head, he’s just attacking and attacking her, doesnt look like anything is ever successful in terms of mating, just violent and constant. The poor thing can’t even move without being accosted. I decided it was time. I scooped Winston up and took him inside while I put everyone else away and set up the cage in the house, as I don’t know where else I could keep him safe but separate. He pooped this clearish liquid poop stuff all over the floor, rug and some on me and the Mrs, not sure what is up with that except that he was upset about the whole deal. He’s eating and drinking. I am worried about him having some kind of anxiety meltdown.. any advice here appreciated. Tomorrow i will set up a pen inside the other for him and his girlfriend Squabbles, maybe let scuba in with him too.
any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 127338DA-CD50-4E35-B6A3-5E0DE7D0524A.jpeg
    127338DA-CD50-4E35-B6A3-5E0DE7D0524A.jpeg
    588.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 612AD8C0-7034-41A0-AF25-21947E7FF258.jpeg
    612AD8C0-7034-41A0-AF25-21947E7FF258.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 12
  • A2B10D49-0C19-43CF-AF62-712593F2CC1B.jpeg
    A2B10D49-0C19-43CF-AF62-712593F2CC1B.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 87F5C3CA-34AE-47AD-A67A-D61A55ADAFB4.jpeg
    87F5C3CA-34AE-47AD-A67A-D61A55ADAFB4.jpeg
    630 KB · Views: 11
  • 2ADFF603-84AE-4429-BC65-5EF539F156FD.jpeg
    2ADFF603-84AE-4429-BC65-5EF539F156FD.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 17
An old drake would probably make for good cassoulet or rillettes... Try to hatch some eggs and hopefully you get a new one that behaves better? Sorry but I don't have the time or energy to deal with any animal that hurts my other animals. Bite me every now and then? That's fine as long as you treat your girls well. Not treating them well? Off ya go.

yeah don’t listen to the people saying to kill him. i think he should be able to go back with the hens after mating season as long as you can keep him seperated until then. if you do NEED to rehome him, i recommend finding him an all drake flock. i have my 3 boys and 2 girls separated, and the drakes all do perfect with each other

Aww poor boy, those hormones can sure get the best of them. So many have to use drake jail in summer ask @DuckyDonna . Thankfully I haven't had to set up drakes jail just goose jail here. :p

Just watch out or you may hear him say "I Can Fly":lau

Aww poor boy, those hormones can sure get the best of them. So many have to use drake jail in summer ask @DuckyDonna . Thankfully I haven't had to set up drakes jail just goose jail here. :p

Just watch out or you may hear him say "I Can Fly":lau
He was in a wire dog pen, and was trying, I expected to come home and find him dangling or knock it over on himself. So far the snow fence seems to be too tall for him to try.

I hear you! I've got 4 boys and 13 girls and I can't even put one drake in with the girls without an issue this year. Actually, the biggest problem is my smallest duck who happens to be a drake. He and the other 3 boys are in a separate run which is next to the girl's run. The little one paces the fence line all day long like a nut job. The other 3 drakes wander around doing "duck" things like swimming, foraging, exploring etc. The last time I had an issue I only had this 1 drake. He did the same thing with pacing the fence line non-stop and was so miserable I felt bad but my girl's necks were a mess so it had to be.

After a few days, I had an idea. His best buddy that he always hung out with was also missing him so I thought what if I put her in with him? What would happen? Would he rape her to death? He did not, and all was good in duckyville! You might want to give that a try if he's got a special friend. Otherwise, I guess wait until fall like me.

Last night he flew over the 4’ snow fence! Quite the sight. He paced the fence, i have considered putting Squbbles in with him, they are inseparable, but havent been home to supervise… at a 2 day generator service training so i will only get updates for a couple days.

I had to hang netting from above so my drakes wouldn't fly over. But, I've got a top on my run of welded wire all around so that was pretty easy. They are escape artists when they want to be. I've got a runner who thinks he's a mallard! I'd try putting his girlfriend in with him. That sure calmed my boy down when I did it. You should be able to tell right away if it's going to work.

I had 3 runner duck girls and one boy and lots of space / free range during the day etc. He kept picking on one girl.. eventually blinding her completely in one eye, scarring the top of her head etc. I rehomed him. I'm only having girls from now on.

Back
Top Bottom