Drake killed baby

wednesday22

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 13, 2013
My sweet drake killed one of our babies. I put the nest along with the remaining eggs in a cage with the baby that is left, but the female will not go in willingly and has started sitting on the other ducks eggs. Why did the drake kill the baby?

Drakes can surprise us. Otherwise good drakes may do just what yours did. Others are protective of ducklings. Sadly, we don't know ahead of time.

I would consider getting an incubator a.s.a.p. and taking the duckling into a brooder.

You are probably right. But how old would the duckling have to be before I can let him join the other ducks.

Generally, when they are as big as the adults. They grow quickly, ya know.
smile.png

Drakes killing ducklings isn't uncommon at all. I've never had a drake that did okay with ducklings around. Once they were older everyone seemed to get along though after the pecking order had been established.

I did not realize this. I put him a pen now when I let the mom and her baby out to run around.

Don't feel bad. I had no clue when my ducks hatched their first babies either. Congrats on the babies! They're a blast to have around.

Back
Top Bottom