Drake Not getting along with new flock

KitKatNB

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2019
Hey so I recently have been raising ducklings from my own ducks. The two Mama's get along with the two new ducks and drake. However the drake who fathered them isn't getting along with them at all. He bit the young drake and wouldn't let go and I had to split them up. They've been seeing the ducklings since they were 4 weeks old and now they're 8-9 weeks old and are able to stay outside. Another issue is that the drake who fathered the young ducks is also trying to mate with the two ducks.
My mom and I have been talking about the possibility of rehoming the dad but we got him as a rescue because the people who had him before were just going to eat him and I know that's what will happen if he gets rehomed.
Should I wait until both are laying to introduce and is there any way that I can introduce him calmly or do I have to let him and the young drake fight it out?
Also we have a 1:2 ratio of Drake's to ducks

2 drakes two ducks? That can be trouble. Drakes can really rough up females during mating season. I know it’s hard to think of giving one up but if you can’t you should have two pens an two coops so you can separate the females from the drakes. Adult drakes shouldn’t be in with young ducks until at least 4-5 months old.

2 drakes two ducks? That can be trouble. Drakes can really rough up females during mating season. I know it’s hard to think of giving one up but if you can’t you should have two pens an two coops so you can separate the females from the drakes. Adult drakes shouldn’t be in with young ducks until at least 4-5 months old.
Oh no! I have two drakes four ducks. I have six total. The parents (the one drake (Indian runner) and two Mama's (Indian runner and Khaki Campbell) and then the babies who are 8-10 weeks old (one is older than the others, and the two ducks are Indian runners and the drake is a khaki Indian runner mix.)
Currently the mamas are with the babies because they get along and the adult drake is technically still in the same pen, but there's a barrier that he can't fit his bill through so he's still separated but he can see them.
I was going to wait and introduce them when the two girls started laying, but I'm still worried about the dominance issues going with the adult drake and young drake even when they're that old

I guess about all you can do is try. Right now hormones are still high in Adult drakes so maybe come fall things will have calmed down and try introducing then.

Back
Top Bottom