Drake or hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Space land, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Space land

Space land In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2019
    I think I posted this previously in wrong section so here it is again ...I have several Pekin ducks and can tell difference between drakes and hens, however, a friend of ours was moving so gave us their ducks. They bought them from local pet store. One looks very similar to Pekins however slightly shorter and thinner. I’m sure she is a girl (white khaki Campbell?). The other is brown with a slight white ring around neck, and it’s head is a bit darker than body with a little bit of a green shine to it, and beak black with olive green. It has a Drake feather. But I have defiantly heard it “quack.” Not very often but it does every now and then. I think from google search that they are khaki Campbell. Is the difference in voices as noticeable as with pekins? They are currently in a paddock with a pekin hen. Only getting 2 eggs a day. They are about year old.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Space land

Sep 17, 2019
    Green shine on head isn’t noticeable in pictures

Attached Files:

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    The brown one is a Khaki Campbell drake. If you are getting two eggs a day then both the white ones are girls. They are likely either pekins or white layers. I believe white layers are a bit more slender than pekins in general (which are more of a meat bird). Also white layers tend to have a lighter colored bill than pekins, more of a peach or pink tone than bright orange.

4. Space land

Sep 17, 2019
    Yes one is my pekin hen (the pekin drake got killed by a fox). They are just all quacking. No raspy voices like my other drake. Ill take a video

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    The KC is a drake. He's got drake colors and a drake tail and you only have 2 layers not 3.

6. Space land

Sep 17, 2019

Here’s a video of it. Hopefully it works. It’s quack is just confusing me

7. Space land

Sep 17, 2019
    I’ve never had KC ducks before. Pekins have an obvious difference in gender noises. Do KC hens and drake sound more alike each other?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

All I heard was females but maybe the quack was drowning out the raspy sound?

9. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    South of DFW
    Do you think you can separate your KC and take another video so we can hear just him/her?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I can hear him. He does have a deep voice but it doesn't sound that different from my Khaki drake.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: