Today, Bob had an adventure. I was bringing him up for his bath, when he escaped from me (I had had to set him down briefly, so I could open the door at the top of the stairs). He flew around the living room, bumped against the ceiling, hit the divider between the living room and the dining room, and then made a successful landing. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to be hurt after this escapade, though he will probably be sore. It doesn't seem likely that he has any internal injuries or a concussion, as he wasn't flying very fast and it seems that he hit the wall with more noise than force. Poor Bob, he always was a flying ace.
Our other patient, Genevieva, is doing much better today as well. Her prolapse receded, and her paralysis is gone. She is tired (naturally), and expelled more egg insides last night. She seems much happier than she did yesterday, though. She was sitting on my sister's lap, being cuddled, wanted to go back into the brooder for a drink, and then wanted to be snuggled some more. We might keep an eye on her for the rest of today, and then put her back outside.

Today, Bob had an adventure. I was bringing him up for his bath, when he escaped from me (I had had to set him down briefly, so I could open the door at the top of the stairs). He flew around the living room, bumped against the ceiling, hit the divider between the living room and the dining room, and then made a successful landing. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to be hurt after this escapade, though he will probably be sore. It doesn't seem likely that he has any internal injuries or a concussion, as he wasn't flying very fast and it seems that he hit the wall with more noise than force. Poor Bob, he always was a flying ace.
Our other patient, Genevieva, is doing much better today as well. Her prolapse receded, and her paralysis is gone. She is tired (naturally), and expelled more egg insides last night. She seems much happier than she did yesterday, though. She was sitting on my sister's lap, being cuddled, wanted to go back into the brooder for a drink, and then wanted to be snuggled some more. We might keep an eye on her for the rest of today, and then put her back outside.
Do you think maybe you should clip Bob's one wing so that he doesn't get hurt flying? My Mallard boys that I rehomed mostly flew away from their new owners. They could fly quite well. People will say that the domestic ones don't but mine evidently did not know they were domestic as I never told them and they could fly with the best of them. lol

Do you think maybe you should clip Bob's one wing so that he doesn't get hurt flying? My Mallard boys that I rehomed mostly flew away from their new owners. They could fly quite well. People will say that the domestic ones don't but mine evidently did not know they were domestic as I never told them and they could fly with the best of them. lol
We considered clipping their wings at one point, but decided against it. The only problem with his flying would be if he does it in the house. He as well as both of his "siblings" enjoy flying, and since we don't have many trees or other obstacles in our yard, we let them do it. Our yard is also quite large, so they don't fly onto other people's property. Our neighbors know not to let their dogs run wild, too.
I'm surprised that some people say that domestic Mallards can't fly! I think that is an urban legend, everything I've read indicates that they can. Bobbie is a production Rouen, another breed rumored to have no flying abilities. He flies quite well, however, though he can't keep it up as long as a Mallard could. One duck we will never have any trouble keeping on the ground is our Cayuga, Flora. She is huge. She can hop straight up, though, and surprisingly high for such a massive duck!

A surprising update! Yesterday afternoon, poor Bobbie seemed more uncomfortable than he had been. He was trying to contract his vent, and seemed a little listless outside. We gave him a tiny dose of Meloxicam, which seemed to help him when he had been uncomfortable a few days ago. When we checked on him that evening, the prolapse looked about the same as it had for the past few days, though maybe a tiny bit less swollen.
Today, when we examined him, we found that the prolapse had receded completely! I hope he won't have any more trouble, it's hard to say anything definitive just yet. But the vent looks normal, no swelling or inflammation, and everything is inside where it should be.
I don't know what could have caused this. For the past couple of days, we had added a little bit of povidone iodine in his bath water. He had also been getting water with probiotics, a multivitamin supplement, apple cider vinegar, and oregano oil in it. Oregano oil has been found to have antibiotic properties, so I don't know if that killed off any infection that might have been lingering. Or perhaps it was the "collision therapy" he had yesterday!
We may release him and his two companions into the flock today, depending on how he looks later. Catriona will be very happy.
Genevieva has already been released back into the flock. She was greeted with happy wails from Freckles the rooster, but some of the hens squabbled with her a little. It was nothing serious, just that chickens don't always welcome back absent flock members as warmly as ducks do!

I hope that Bobbie does not try to mate anyone when released back into the flock for a little while. Mine did not since it was not mating season. Thanks for the wonderful update, I am so happy for him!!!!

I hope that Bobbie does not try to mate anyone when released back into the flock for a little while. Mine did not since it was not mating season. Thanks for the wonderful update, I am so happy for him!!!!
I don't think he will, as he hasn't really been showing much interest in breeding behavior since this started. I'm glad he's doing so much better, though. He will probably be much happier outside.
Thanks again for all the help with this!

I don't think he will, as he hasn't really been showing much interest in breeding behavior since this started. I'm glad he's doing so much better, though. He will probably be much happier outside.
Thanks again for all the help with this!
You are most welcome and I am glad that I could help. I pray that things stay well for Bobbie. He will be much happier outside. No more flying into the ceiling fan, lol.

You are most welcome and I am glad that I could help. I pray that things stay well for Bobbie. He will be much happier outside. No more flying into the ceiling fan, lol.
Still no sign of a relapse as of this evening. He was extra crabby, though. He kept alligatoring at us, stretching out his neck and opening his bill. So terrifying. I suppose he thinks that, now that he has conquered his infection, he can take on the world. But he seems happy to be back, and was also wheezing cheerfully. Meanwhile, Nelson was making a nest for Magnolia in the corner of the coop. Magnolia was ignoring his efforts.

Unfortunate update:
While he seemed to be doing splendidly for the last couple of weeks, poor Bobbie prolapsed again yesterday, and is now in the basement again (with Nelson and Magnolia for company, in another brooder). The prolapse looks horrible: it's very swollen, though there is no sign of gangrene, necrotic tissue, or discoloration. (The tip looks quite healthy where it was cut, though, and the scab is gone!) Could the swelling have been caused by a peck? The chickens have been acting rather stir-crazy during this cold weather. Or could frostbite be an issue here?
I am guessing that I will probably have to amputate. (Ugh, I'm not looking forward to amputating healthy-looking tissue at all; I almost wish it was necrotic). Should we start him on Baytril again, as well, just to stave off any further infection?
Here it is. (Note: This was taken yesterday, the inflamed area at the top doesn't look half that red today).
IMG_5954.JPG

Other than that, we're surprised to notice that he seems a lot perkier than he was when he first got infected, even though the prolapse looks much worse. It is driving him nuts, though. He keeps preening himself vigorously around the area.
Bob swaggering happily before his prolapse.
IMG_5647.JPG

If it were me I would amputate it again and use the Vetericyn spray on the area. I would not do anything else but I would use very sharp good scissors that are sterilized like I did for my little guy. Mine is still just fine but it is not uncommon for them to have a relapse. Does he stay with the chickens? I could see one of the pecking it. I always heard male ducks should never be kept with chickens. Just wondering and hope what ever you decide works out best for him.

Back
Top Bottom