Giant Pekin Drake with Prolapse Phallus

WetheringHeightsFarm

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2023
Today I had to make an emergency trip with our 3 yo Giant Pekin “Jack” to the aviary veterinarian. For a few days we’ve noticed he isn’t able to tuck in his male part and drags it all over the frozen yard as he waddles to and fro. After researching if this dragging was normal - which it isn’t, I called the closest bird doctor and they wanted us to bring him in. Indeed, his pecker has been prolapsed for a while as it was dried out and resulted in a lot of dead tissue. Within an hour, he was in surgery and they amputated his organ, stitched him up and will be ready to go around 4 pm to recover at the farm in his ICU stall. It will take approximately 14 days of being separated from the love of his life “Jill” in order to make sure he doesn’t do anymore damage to his back end. Today was the first time I even heard of Prolapsed phallus and that it’s common with Pekin ducks. I only have 2, one drake, one hen that I rescued 3 years ago as chicks and could not walk from a Thiamine deficiency. Have you ever heard of this prolapse issue
? I would like to know how common it is. Jack will live to see another day. But the outcome could have been worse.

Attachments

• IMG_4342.jpeg
    IMG_4342.jpeg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It happens, but frequently resolves on its own. Given the excessive cold this was not possible in his case. He will probably be unable to fertilize Jill's eggs but should still have a high quality life.

Back
Top Bottom