Prolapsed Duck Phallus- Need Help

That is wonderful that you are practicing to be a Vet. In schooling when you go for a Vet do they teach anything at all about the birds? I was just curious as my regular Vet calls them exotic animals and won't touch Ducks.
They do teach you the basics about birds in school but most is learned through exotic rotations and such. I actually am working towards becoming an exotic vet and hopefully board-certified in avian medicine. I have shadowed at exotic animal hospitals the past two summers and once my rotations start I will be able to spend more time with them. However, most of my experience is still limited to Psittacines as I have owned macaws for the past 4 years.

Here is another pic for this morning.
IMG_2692.jpeg

IMG_2694.jpeg

Last edited:
They do teach you the basics about birds in school but most is learned through exotic rotations and such. I actually am working towards becoming an exotic vet and hopefully board-certified in avian medicine. I have shadowed at exotic animal hospitals the past two summers and once my rotations start I will be able to spend more time with them. However, most of my experience is still limited to Psittacines as I have owned macaws for the past 4 years.

Here is another pic for this morning.
View attachment 3699315
View attachment 3699316

To me it looks like it is darkening some and may need to be clipped off when finished being discolored. I pray I am wrong and I very well may be. It just doesn't look normal at all and that is what I am basing my thoughts on.

To me it looks like it is darkening some and may need to be clipped off when finished being discolored. I pray I am wrong and I very well may be. It just doesn't look normal at all and that is what I am basing my thoughts on.
It looks a little darker in the picture than in reality but it's hard to tell. Based on what I see in person it has stayed the same. I know the cold temperatures can make it look pale but we will see if its actually worsening in time. Compared to what it looked like before I think it is doing well. When it first prolapsed it became red and swollen within 24 hours and then necrotic within the next 2 days. However, it's been 4 days since I cut it and we haven't seen too much a difference (bad nor good). It could just be me but I thought it felt slightly less swollen today and was a bit easier to push back inside. Waiting to see if its going to improve or worsen in time is nerve-wracking.

Here’s one a few hours after his morning tx. Sorry it’s a bit messy I got the pic before leaving for class

Attachments

• IMG_2697.jpeg
    IMG_2697.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
It looks a little darker in the picture than in reality but it's hard to tell. Based on what I see in person it has stayed the same. I know the cold temperatures can make it look pale but we will see if its actually worsening in time. Compared to what it looked like before I think it is doing well. When it first prolapsed it became red and swollen within 24 hours and then necrotic within the next 2 days. However, it's been 4 days since I cut it and we haven't seen too much a difference (bad nor good). It could just be me but I thought it felt slightly less swollen today and was a bit easier to push back inside. Waiting to see if its going to improve or worsen in time is nerve-wracking.

Here’s one a few hours after his morning tx. Sorry it’s a bit messy I got the pic before leaving for class
I pray that it eventually stays inside of him for you. With all of the meds and all that you have done you would think that it would be just fine and hopefully it will be. I was so lucky with mine as it was not complex at all. It was a bit nerve wracking but other than that it was easy peasey compared to what you have been having to do. Thanks for the update.

After days of prep H, meloxicam, honey and neosporin we have finally made progress!

Last night I noticed that it had sucked back in to the point where just the scab was barely visible. I coated it with neosporin and prep H and pushed it back into place. This morning there is no sign of the prolapse! Fingers crossed that it will stay in place and can finish healing.

After days of prep H, meloxicam, honey and neosporin we have finally made progress!

Last night I noticed that it had sucked back in to the point where just the scab was barely visible. I coated it with neosporin and prep H and pushed it back into place. This morning there is no sign of the prolapse! Fingers crossed that it will stay in place and can finish healing.
:woot

So Happy to hear this!!!! Thanks for the update!!!

Thanks for checking in! Donald is doing great. I haven’t seen any signs of the phallus popping back out or any signs of fecal impaction so I think the muscle has finally relaxed and has gone back to being functional.

Back
Top Bottom