Prolapsed Duck Phallus- Need Help

Fluffaloo

Chirping
Feb 20, 2023
As some of you may know I have a disabled duck in my Pen with a permanently gimpy leg. Because of this I decided to make a bachelor pad for my drakes so they wouldn’t hurt her when mating.

Anyways, a few weeks ago I moved the males into their run and they were doing great until tonight. Donald has had a history of being noticeably slow when it came to pulling his phallus back in his body but tonight it was out completely. A prolapsed phallus.
IMG_2495.jpeg
IMG_2496.jpeg

Using sterile lubricant I slowly moved in back inside and left it. Within a few minutes he wiggled it out again. So about 10min ago I put it back in again and rubbed some honey around it (though I really need some manuka honey to do the job properly)

It obviously is swollen and very irritated. I have meloxicam and enrofloxacin at home if you thought that would be beneficial but I wasn’t sure if it would be best to try at this stage.

Behavior is normal: Eating,drinking, swimming, hanging with other drakes etc

Any recommendations to keep it from falling out or what I could possibly do. I don’t have the money to put him in a full scale surgery right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My little Call Duck had a large Marble size piece hanging from his bottom. At first I thought it was just stool but then realized it was the whole end of his penis. I looked online and watched what a vet did with a prolapsed penis on a duck as it was brown and turning green and it said if not taken off it would have killed the duck. His was brown with greenish color to it as that was a sign of gangrene. I knew if I did nothing he would die so I got up the nerve to do what she did. I took sterilized very sharp scissors. Held him with his back against my chest and cut all of the part that was turning into gangrene off. There was only a drop of blood that came out of the rest of it. Then I sprayed the whole area with Vetericyn and tucked the stub that was left back inside of him. That was several months ago and Itsy Bitsy is just fine. I was so happy that I got up the nerve to be able to save him. I never had to keep him from the others and nothing has come back out of him. I was very fortunate to be able to save him and I hope you can save yours also.

Have you put it in cool water let him sit in it for a while then lube it up and try to get it back in. It seems this is something that has to be kept up until it stays.

My dachshund had this and of course never having to deal with it I freaked out but the only thing I could think of at the time was placing him in cool water and it did the trick it finally went back inside and stayed. I never did figure out why this happened to him he was neutered so it wasn't from mating.

Main thing is keeping it moist so it doesn't dry out or get infected.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treatments-for-prolapse-duck-phallus-penis-under-construction-updated-2-9-2021.1293789/

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far! I will be buying manuka honey today after class and trying that as well. Yesterday I had him swimming for a short time in his pond (clean and cold) before I put it back in. Though it did come out again later last night and looked like this. I don’t know if it was the honey or just time but I was surprised at the progress within a few hours.
IMG_2499.jpeg

Sorry for the blurry picture it was like 30F out and my flash on my phone wouldn’t focus the picture.

This morning it looked a little worse. I will have to post a picture of it what I get home. It was covered in poop (I rinsed it off) and was darker and “cold looking” not necrotic or dead but just not the color I wanted to see. I will have a better idea on how it’s doing later today.

He is already on straw luckily so he can’t get it muddy and he is within a clean environment. I just wish I knew how to keep it from falling out

Update: we are definitely losing blood supply.
IMG_2513.jpeg

So good news and bad news. Bad news is that it doesn’t seem like we will be saving these 2-3in of the phallus and each day the tissue is losing more blood flow and becoming necrotic.
Good news is that under that ugly tissue we have beautiful healthy tissue towards the base of the phallus. Some of that healthy tissue is slightly outside the body and looks swollen still but I’m doing my best to keep that portion tucked in. Luckily severe infection hasn’t begun yet and if it does I have antibiotics to treat it further.

Meanwhile I have been covering it and the area with manuka honey, vetericyn spray and occasionally neosporin. Not too sure if there is anything else I can do for him besides keep any pain, inflammation, and infection minimized while the necrotic end hardens and crusts enough to be safely cut. Thank you all for your help so far!

Last edited:
Yes that is starting to look like how mine was. Mine had hardened by the time I realized what it was and it told on the article that I looked at that the green was from it turning into gangrene. I was lucky I found mine soon enough as it said it would eventually spread to the rest of the body and the duck would not survive. I hope that yours makes it alright like mine did. I did not do anything before hand as I did not notice it since he walks so close to the ground being so little. He still has done well though without any preparations before the surgery. I did wash him well before I amputated it so that it would be a clean cut.

Yes that is starting to look like how mine was. Mine had hardened by the time I realized what it was and it told on the article that I looked at that the green was from it turning into gangrene. I was lucky I found mine soon enough as it said it would eventually spread to the rest of the body and the duck would not survive. I hope that yours makes it alright like mine did. I did not do anything before hand as I did not notice it since he walks so close to the ground being so little. He still has done well though without any preparations before the surgery. I did wash him well before I amputated it so that it would be a clean cut.

When you had cut yours did you cut it as close to the healthy tissue as possible leaving just a scab of the dead tissue on top (meant to later slough off) or did you actually cut into the healthy tissue to ensure a clean cut? I have read it done both ways so Im curious of what you did. Honestly, I'm hoping that his dries and hardens sooner than later since this is how its progressing. I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks and its been getting below freezing temps lately so its pretty stressful timing to have this happen.

Your experience has been really helpful!

I hope with a course of antibiotics followed by anti-inflammatories he will be on the road to recovery.
I actually cut all of the dead off and cut into the healthy pink part. I did not want to risk leaving anything dead in case in would promote infection to start all over again. I cut just past the dead and that is why I had a drop of blood. It seemed to me to be the best way to handle it and that was not what I saw in the Vet's video but it made more sense to me to do it that way. Mine acted like nothing ever happened to it afterwards and I only had the spray to put on him before tucking the small piece hanging out back up inside of him. He never got any antibiotics as I had none but he has done just fine. You are most welcome for my help and I pray that yours survives also. Please keep me posted on the outcome.

I actually cut all of the dead off and cut into the healthy pink part. I did not want to risk leaving anything dead in case in would promote infection to start all over again. I cut just past the dead and that is why I had a drop of blood. It seemed to me to be the best way to handle it and that was not what I saw in the Vet's video but it made more sense to me to do it that way. Mine acted like nothing ever happened to it afterwards and I only had the spray to put on him before tucking the small piece hanging out back up inside of him. He never got any antibiotics as I had none but he has done just fine. You are most welcome for my help and I pray that yours survives also. Please keep me posted on the outcome.
Thank you! That seems like it would make the most sense. I watched the same vet video as you so I just wasn't sure how he would react to that stimulus if I cut into fresh tissue. I know in regular surgery we remove as much necrotic and unhealthy tissue as we can so that infection doesn't spread but that's usually under anesthesia. I'm new to most of these "out of textbook" at-home solutions. I feel like it's difficult to find consistent information on treatments and yet so many people run into these problems and have no choice but to treat it at home.

I will keep this thread updated. If it hardens and is able to be cut away I will post that as well. Luckily he is behaving normal :)

Back
Top Bottom