Prolapsed Duck Phallus- Need Help

Fluffaloo

Chirping
Feb 20, 2023
As some of you may know I have a disabled duck in my Pen with a permanently gimpy leg. Because of this I decided to make a bachelor pad for my drakes so they wouldn’t hurt her when mating.

Anyways, a few weeks ago I moved the males into their run and they were doing great until tonight. Donald has had a history of being noticeably slow when it came to pulling his phallus back in his body but tonight it was out completely. A prolapsed phallus.
IMG_2495.jpeg
IMG_2496.jpeg

Using sterile lubricant I slowly moved in back inside and left it. Within a few minutes he wiggled it out again. So about 10min ago I put it back in again and rubbed some honey around it (though I really need some manuka honey to do the job properly)

It obviously is swollen and very irritated. I have meloxicam and enrofloxacin at home if you thought that would be beneficial but I wasn’t sure if it would be best to try at this stage.

Behavior is normal: Eating,drinking, swimming, hanging with other drakes etc

Any recommendations to keep it from falling out or what I could possibly do. I don’t have the money to put him in a full scale surgery right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
oh boy i wish i could help . i dont have any drakes, only girl ducks. i wonder what causes it to stay out like could there be swelling inside behind it. like you were thinking. i know there are people who have experience with this and hopefully they reply soon in the meantime sounds like youre doing the best for him so far. I would keep him inside a clean dry area so it wont get muddy/cold/frozen for now

Have you put it in cool water let him sit in it for a while then lube it up and try to get it back in. It seems this is something that has to be kept up until it stays.

My dachshund had this and of course never having to deal with it I freaked out but the only thing I could think of at the time was placing him in cool water and it did the trick it finally went back inside and stayed. I never did figure out why this happened to him he was neutered so it wasn't from mating.

Main thing is keeping it moist so it doesn't dry out or get infected.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treatments-for-prolapse-duck-phallus-penis-under-construction-updated-2-9-2021.1293789/

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far! I will be buying manuka honey today after class and trying that as well. Yesterday I had him swimming for a short time in his pond (clean and cold) before I put it back in. Though it did come out again later last night and looked like this. I don’t know if it was the honey or just time but I was surprised at the progress within a few hours.
IMG_2499.jpeg

Sorry for the blurry picture it was like 30F out and my flash on my phone wouldn’t focus the picture.

This morning it looked a little worse. I will have to post a picture of it what I get home. It was covered in poop (I rinsed it off) and was darker and “cold looking” not necrotic or dead but just not the color I wanted to see. I will have a better idea on how it’s doing later today.

He is already on straw luckily so he can’t get it muddy and he is within a clean environment. I just wish I knew how to keep it from falling out

Thanks for the replies so far! I will be buying manuka honey today after class and trying that as well. Yesterday I had him swimming for a short time in his pond (clean and cold) before I put it back in. Though it did come out again later last night and looked like this. I don’t know if it was the honey or just time but I was surprised at the progress within a few hours.View attachment 3692583
Sorry for the blurry picture it was like 30F out and my flash on my phone wouldn’t focus the picture.

This morning it looked a little worse. I will have to post a picture of it what I get home. It was covered in poop (I rinsed it off) and was darker and “cold looking” not necrotic or dead but just not the color I wanted to see. I will have a better idea on how it’s doing later today.

He is already on straw luckily so he can’t get it muddy and he is within a clean environment. I just wish I knew how to keep it from falling out
Have the other drakes been mating him or trying? I believe that as long as it's out I would keep him away from them I know females will see a hanging penis and bite at it not sure if drakes would.

They don’t seem to be too interested in him. He is the largest (jumbo pekin) of the 3 drakes (regular pekin and Ancona) in the run and is pretty timid. I’m out there pretty often and have a camera that I check but haven’t seen the others picking on him, mating or anything of that sort. Though it still could be happening as I’m not there 24/7. It’s a 10ft x 20ft run so they have room to avoid each other. Lately they have been looking out to the duck run and quacking trying to get the females attention. They are still under a year old and hormones are high.

Back
Top Bottom