Prolapsed Duck Phallus- Need Help

The nub is still falling out but unlike last time the tissue is remaining very healthy. It’s swollen but there’s no sign of redness. After his antibiotics finish tomorrow I will put him on anti inflammatories for a week
IMG_2656.jpeg

The black is the scab/clot from the blood.

The nub is still falling out but unlike last time the tissue is remaining very healthy. It’s swollen but there’s no sign of redness. After his antibiotics finish tomorrow I will put him on anti inflammatories for a weekView attachment 3697917
The black is the scab/clot from the blood.
I pray that the swelling goes down as that may be part of the problem. At least I thought it looked like it was swelled. Hopefully it will go back in and stay in soon.

Still swollen and still popping out. It’s not red though and I can see it still has vasculature running through it. I’m going to get some prep H cream today for it too since the prep H wipes have been useless.
View attachment 3698585the
hang in there fluffaloo , you are a great and wonderful duck mommy. i hope the prepH works 🙏

hang in there fluffaloo , you are a great and wonderful duck mommy. i hope the prepH works 🙏
Thanks. I'm trying. It has been a tricky case. Between the swelling and the muscle obviously failing to retract it's very difficult to keep the phallus inside. I have tried sugar from the honey, antibiotics, Neosporin, veterycin, and soon Prep H but nothing I have done so far has helped with the swelling. Next is a weeklong tx of anti-inflammatories.

Based on how the nub looks and how he has been behaving I believe the antibiotics have saved him from the chronic infection phase but we still need to fix the actual issue.

Here is a normal pic of him and the other boys. He is the largest Pekin on the left.
IMG_2678.png

Last edited:
I pray that it is not swollen because it has infection in it. Time will tell if it discolors. I have heard of people having to do surgery on them 3 times to finally get to the point where it stays back in. I was very fortunate with mine. I did nothing but snip, spray and tuck. Being a Call Duck though I am not sure what the whole length of theirs is. Maybe I took off more than I thought.

Thanks. I'm trying. It has been a tricky case. Between the swelling and the muscle obviously failing to retract it's very difficult to keep the phallus inside. I have tried sugar from the honey, antibiotics, Neosporin, veterycin, and soon Prep H but nothing I have done so far has helped with the swelling. Next is a weeklong tx of anti-inflammatories.

Based on how the nub looks and how he has been behaving I believe the antibiotics have saved him from the chronic infection phase but we still need to fix the actual issue.

Here is a normal pic of him and the other boys. He is the largest Pekin on the left.
View attachment 3698607
👀 look at those beautiful sweet babies!!

Still swollen and still popping out. It’s not red though and I can see it still has vasculature running through it. I’m going to get some prep H cream today for it too since the prep H wipes have been useless.
View attachment 3698585

I don't have Ducks, but have been following along.
You've done a wonderful job taking care of him. So far everything you are doing is what I'd try.

Got a question. How far in does that scab go and does it seem to slough off over the course of a few days and scab back over?

To me, the tissue still looks healthy.

Also, if he's still really swollen, you can try soaking him in a warm tub of epsom salts bath or even try warm epsom salts compresses to see if that helps reduce inflammation.
You don't really want him to drink the bath water with the salts, while a little won't hurt him, it will give him loose stools.

I don't have Ducks, but have been following along.
You've done a wonderful job taking care of him. So far everything you are doing is what I'd try.

Got a question. How far in does that scab go and does it seem to slough off over the course of a few days and scab back over?

To me, the tissue still looks healthy.

Also, if he's still really swollen, you can try soaking him in a warm tub of epsom salts bath or even try warm epsom salts compresses to see if that helps reduce inflammation.
You don't really want him to drink the bath water with the salts, while a little won't hurt him, it will give him loose stools.
Thanks for the reply and Im glad you are following. The scab is healthy and is pretty superficial. There are no signs of sloughing, breaking, discharge etc. I would expect it to heal or at least make progress within 14 days. The tissue itself has not worsened and still remains a healthy color. I am not seeing any signs of infection.

I will update tomorrow on the status of the swelling to see how well the Prep H worked. He is currently on Meloxicam for pain and inflammation. If it is still swollen I will try the Epsom salt compresses. I did pick up some more at the store today. I would soak him if I could but I have been so busy. I am a third year vet student so between the exams and surgeries I just haven't had the time to do much more than the basics for him. I check it about 3-4 times a day and push it back in as needed. Now that he is off the antibiotics I can add probiotics to his diet to help with the diarrhea he has developed (A common side effect of enrofloxacin in birds). I have witnessed many things in my vet career so far but none like this yet. Mammalian and even reptilian prolapses are treated a bit differently and usually have more options. The fact that its the phallus that has prolapsed and that there isn't much research on how to best treat it makes it difficult. I have only owned poultry and waterfowl for about a year now so asking people who have more experience is always helpful.

Thanks for the reply and Im glad you are following. The scab is healthy and is pretty superficial. There are no signs of sloughing, breaking, discharge etc. I would expect it to heal or at least make progress within 14 days. The tissue itself has not worsened and still remains a healthy color. I am not seeing any signs of infection.

I will update tomorrow on the status of the swelling to see how well the Prep H worked. He is currently on Meloxicam for pain and inflammation. If it is still swollen I will try the Epsom salt compresses. I did pick up some more at the store today. I would soak him if I could but I have been so busy. I am a third year vet student so between the exams and surgeries I just haven't had the time to do much more than the basics for him. I check it about 3-4 times a day and push it back in as needed. Now that he is off the antibiotics I can add probiotics to his diet to help with the diarrhea he has developed (A common side effect of enrofloxacin in birds). I have witnessed many things in my vet career so far but none like this yet. Mammalian and even reptilian prolapses are treated a bit differently and usually have more options. The fact that its the phallus that has prolapsed and that there isn't much research on how to best treat it makes it difficult. I have only owned poultry and waterfowl for about a year now so asking people who have more experience is always helpful.
That is wonderful that you are practicing to be a Vet. In schooling when you go for a Vet do they teach anything at all about the birds? I was just curious as my regular Vet calls them exotic animals and won't touch Ducks.

Back
Top Bottom