drake with a swollen leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OldMissionChick, Mar 20, 2016.

1. OldMissionChick

OldMissionChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    Some how our drake injured himself (probably because we were talking about culling him). I let them out and all were fine. I checked a few hours later & he was holding his leg up & using his wing for balance. I thought he just needed to rest it so I put him is a small sectioned off area in the coop with his own food & water. He hasn't gotten any better.
    [​IMG]
    Besides Epsom salt soak is there anything else I can do? I checked his leg, no bumblefoot, no hot spots. The local farm that does processing doesn't start processing until the end of April :/
    Any help is appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may have suffered a sprained leg or hip. That can take up to several weeks to heal. I would give him some vitamins in his water and force him to rest it inside the pen.

3. OldMissionChick

OldMissionChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    I never got a notification that someone replied :/ I ended up taking him to the vet yesterday. It is believed to be a mating injury. The vet didn't feel any broken bones, xray was not a financial option. They told me to give him half a 81mg aspirin every 24 hours for 5 days, 2 day break, then 5 more days if needed. Also gave me Baytril to administer every 12 hours. But if we do that he will no longer be good for consumption. I gave him the aspirin yesterday and he's able to put his leg down today. Towards the end of our 6 hour journey he seemed to be much happier.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He probably just needs time to rest and recover. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by