Drakes eating layer food?

My Drakes have had Layers feed before with no ill effects but most people advise against them having it due to the excess calcium. That's why I now feed flock raiser and free choice Oyster Shells

My Drakes have had Layers feed before with no ill effects but most people advise against them having it due to the excess calcium. That's why I now feed flock raiser and free choice Oyster Shells
Ahhh ok. I have them on flock raiser now mixing in the last little bit of the starter with the 4 week olds. So when they are laying age- just offer oyster shells from the feed store in it's own bowl and then my layer ducks are covered nutritionally?

Ahhh ok. I have them on flock raiser now mixing in the last little bit of the starter with the 4 week olds. So when they are laying age- just offer oyster shells from the feed store in it's own bowl and then my layer ducks are covered nutritionally?
The more experienced breeders can chime in on their opinion but this has worked for me. They get to free range some and have free choice of the flock raiser with oyster shells.

Thanks for the thread I have been wondering this same thing myself. All my ducks are old enough now to eat the same food. I thought I was going to have to teach them to read so I could put their names on their feed bowls...lol

You may want to keep an eye on them and make sure the hens are actually eating the oyster shell. I've heard that there are a few who refuse to eat it... in those cases you would have to make sure they get more calcium some other way. But in my experience the oyster shell works great. My female gobbles it up like candy. Then the drake will come running over to see what she's eating. The look on his face is priceless... "Hey, these are just rocks!" I guess he just doesn't get it.

Back
Top Bottom