Drakes Killing Eachother

Cmiller1122

Chirping
Aug 25, 2022
I see a lot of posts about drakes fighting eachother over mates, but barely any posts about my specific situation. My Peking drake was limping yesterday, and today my other two drakes (a khaki and a mallard/Rouen) were actively trying to kill him. I separated the Peking, but later found out that he was sticking his whole neck out of the fence and letting those two drakes attack and eat him. There was blood everywhere and Peking now has major bill wounds! and I’ve since then had to double fence the area. I’m just confused at why the Peking who was clearly injured would allow the others to attack him. Is it normal for drakes to “eat the weak one”?

Editing to reply to the most asked question:
These ducks were all raised together from two days old . We had too many males so we gave some away to a lady with a huge pond and we are slowly adding more hens but had to stop for the winter.
They free-ranged in our backyard and only go in the pen at night so the hens can lay eggs in one place. They have always been kind to each other even during mating. They have 4 watering holes and we give them supplemental scratch feed, oyster shell, and fruits and veggies often. We only have two laying females because the others still haven’t matured yet as they were added to the flock later and weren’t raised together. 7 ducks total: 3 male , 4 females (until spring when we can order more) . We have a Peking couple, a khaki couple, one mallard drake, and two female runners.
The only thing different about their lives was that Carl, the large male Peking had a limp and was having a hard time walking one day, and the next day the males were chomping at his head and throat. That’s when I had to separate them and then double fence because Carl kept sticking his head through the first fence.

Attaching a photo of Carl after we cleaned him up

Editing to add AGAIN: I took some advice and put Maxine (our female peking) in the isolated pen with Carl and they hopped in to pond and started humping….so I am thinking that this was about a female all along and the limp was a non-related incident. I think the other males wanted Maxine and knew she was Carl’s. Now I have to worry about if I will ever be able to have them all together ever again? 😢

Attachments

• A8C66D14-EB5D-4DE0-9101-AED6C5F90813.png
    A8C66D14-EB5D-4DE0-9101-AED6C5F90813.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I see a lot of posts about drakes fighting eachother over mates, but barely any posts about my specific situation. My Peking drake was limping yesterday, and today my other two drakes (a khaki and a mallard/Rouen) were actively trying to kill him. I separated the Peking, but later found out that he was sticking his whole neck out of the fence and letting those two drakes attack and eat him. There was blood everywhere and Peking now has major bill wounds! and I’ve since then had to double fence the area. I’m just confused at why the Peking who was clearly injured would allow the others to attack him. Is it normal for drakes to “eat the weak one”?
Im sorry that happened, that's terrible.
I think we're going to need more details, diet, housing, space, and any hens? How many? Water to swim in? How much?

I use to have multiple Muscovy drakes and had one kill another. After that the drakes were never able to be in the same area I fenced each one off with his own females.

My rooster several years ago sat on the roost and allowed his hens to eat his comb and wattles till they were bleeding and chewed up. Never knew why he just sat there and let them do this.

Your going to have to keep these 2 drakes away from your Pekin they know they can keep up with the attack and will eventually kill him.

Do you only have drakes? since you haven't mentioned females. How much space do these boys have

What have you done for your Pekin can you post pictures of what they have done to him?

I have all drakes and they have their changing alliegencies. All friends one week and trying to shoo one away the next. Earlier this year, I had two pekin drakes that I was introducing to my flock in a dog pen in my yard where my other four drakes [2 pekins and 2 muscovy] could see but not touch. So I thought. One of my pekins managed to get his head and neck through the pen and the two inside were pecking away at his heaad. Fortunately I saw it and was able to get straight out to them. The drake with his head and neck stuck throught he pen looked like he had bent out two bars, but he hadn't. He was just through one gap between bars. He had tried to get at the drakes inside agressively and they had repsonded to his aggression with moe aggression. It was horrible seeing the two inside pecking away at his head. it was also difficult to get his head and neck out!

The two muscovy drakes have gone through a rough patch this year although they werer together from 8-9 weeks old and had been very close as ducklings. One would chase the other and when he cought up, sit on his back and peck very visciously at the other's caruncles and eyes. That was unpleasant to see -- I had to bring the bullied one inside and take care of him. He is now virtually over his molt and sleeping in the duck coop, but up on the top bunk above the dogcrate that the bully muscovy sleeps in. I don't let the two loose together in the coop although they are managing to live peaceably durign the day while free ranging in the garden

So, it may be that your injured pekin was actually being aggressive sticking his head and neck through the fence. Your other drakes responded much as mine did to an agressive head and neck through the bars of the pen.

If you keep the drakes separate for a few weeks you may be able to reintroduce them to livign together if there are not any females around to complicate matters. Duck alleigences really do change with the weather

I haven't seen this type of extreme aggression in my Indian Runner drakes. Just pushing and pretty harmless feather pulling until one runs away. Could it be breed specific, or due to being in confined spaces, unable to retreat?

Editing to reply to the most asked question:
These ducks were all raised together from two days old . We had too many males so we gave some away to a lady with a huge pond and we are slowly adding more hens but had to stop for the winter.
They free-ranged in our backyard and only go in the pen at night so the hens can lay eggs in one place. They have always been kind to each other even during mating. They have 4 watering holes and we give them supplemental scratch feed, oyster shell, and fruits and veggies often. We only have two laying females because the others still haven’t matured yet as they were added to the flock later and weren’t raised together. 7 ducks total: 3 male , 4 females (until spring when we can order more) . We have a Peking couple, a khaki couple, one mallard drake, and two female runners.
The only thing different about their lives was that Carl, the large male Peking had a limp and was having a hard time walking one day, and the next day the males were chomping at his head and throat. That’s when I had to separate them and then double fence because Carl kept sticking his head through the first fence.

Attaching a photo of Carl after we cleaned him up

Editing to add AGAIN: I took some advice and put Maxine (our female peking) in the isolated pen with Carl and they hopped in to pond and started humping….so I am thinking that this was about a female all along and the limp was a non-related incident. I think the other males wanted Maxine and knew she was Carl’s. Now I have to worry about if I will ever be able to have them all together ever again? 😢
So you are quite a lot out of ratio, which I know you're aware of and working on. In the time being I think you're going to have to separate the hens, as this could potentially cause fighting between the drakes. I'd personally keep Carl separate from the other boys, maybe with the hens, until you are able to add more to the flock.
What is their main feed, or is it just scratch and veggies?

Poor Carl, hopefully the more experienced members can add to their initial thoughts with this info in mind. I dont keep drakes personally, so I'm really just repeating what I've heard from others who do. But I'm wishing the best for you and your flock! :hugs

On another note, is Carl still limping? Or was that brief? Might want to check him for bumble foot, or supplement niacin if you havent already.

So you are quite a lot out of ratio, which I know you're aware of and working on. In the time being I think you're going to have to separate the hens, as this could potentially cause fighting between the drakes. I'd personally keep Carl separate from the other boys, maybe with the hens, until you are able to add more to the flock.
What is their main feed, or is it just scratch and veggies?

Poor Carl, hopefully the more experienced members can add to their initial thoughts with this info in mind. I dont keep drakes personally, so I'm really just repeating what I've heard from others who do. But I'm wishing the best for you and your flock! :hugs

On another note, is Carl still limping? Or was that brief? Might want to check him for bumble foot, or supplement niacin if you havent already.
We use Purina or Kalmbach duck feed as the main source. Bumble foot was definitely my first suspicion, but his feet are fine. It was very windy the night before and a plank flew off the top of their house and we suspect it hit him in the leg but we never saw a wound. 🤷🏻‍♀️ he doesn’t seem to be limping today, it looks more like a normal waddle. He seems a lot happier with Maxine with him. We are considering getting rid of our other two males…however they are extremely beloved pets and come in the house often so it’s a difficult thing to think about.

@Cmiller1122, Are you able to partition your duck house? Could you leave Carl with the females, but separate the sleeping quarters for your other 2 drakes? Can you pen the other 2 drakes during the day. If so, your ducks will likely be okay over the winter and that will give you time to get more females into your flock
So yesterday my son and I got out there and made an “isolation pen” with some leftover fencing. It’s a temporary structure but it held up to a bad storm last night. We put the Peking’s in it yesterday , then today we let them out and only put our mallard drake in it. And now the flock (minus the mallard) are doing great! So unfortunately, our mallard is the problem and he is my favorite 😢. Probably will look for him a new home

Back
Top Bottom