Drakes now Ducks

OK. Updated pictures. Here they are at 8 weeks. Still no quacks but vocally they sound slightly different. Any thoughts?

My thought is they are absolutely adorable, but with out a drake feather or hearing how they sound I haven't a clue. When you pick them up they don't quack?

What lovely ducks! You should definitely be hearing real quacking by now. Have you tried picking one up and walking away with it? One or the other should start pitching a fit. Both my runners have very loud quacks when they feel like it so you should be able to tell immediately.

Here are mine making their excited noises, it's not their quack but you get the idea of their volume.

Last edited:
My thought is they are absolutely adorable, but with out a drake feather or hearing how they sound I haven't a clue. When you pick them up they don't quack?

What lovely ducks! You should definitely be hearing real quacking by now. Have you tried picking one up and walking away with it? One or the other should start pitching a fit. Both my runners have very loud quacks when they feel like it so you should be able to tell immediately.

Here are mine making their excited noises, it's not their quack but you get the idea of their volume.

Hi Both,
Neither of them quacks when picked up. If separated, the noise they make is similar to the noise they made as young ducklings when they were apart and calling for each other.
It looks like we have drakes then as they don't sound anything like the video
sad.png
. We really wanted ducks for eggs. We could get another duck but I don't think two drakes and a duck would be fair on the duck. Three is the maximum number of birds we could have. This was a problem we hadn't expected as the guy who sold them was confident they were ducks. Obviously we have an attachment to these two and it would be difficult to part with them or even one of them. Anyone had a similar predicament?

Hi Both,
Neither of them quacks when picked up. If separated, the noise they make is similar to the noise they made as young ducklings when they were apart and calling for each other.
It looks like we have drakes then as they don't sound anything like the video
sad.png
. We really wanted ducks for eggs. We could get another duck but I don't think two drakes and a duck would be fair on the duck. Three is the maximum number of birds we could have. This was a problem we hadn't expected as the guy who sold them was confident they were ducks. Obviously we have an attachment to these two and it would be difficult to part with them or even one of them. Anyone had a similar predicament?
Other than no eggs which is a bummer, 2 drakes can live fine together as long as there aren't females. And you right it would not be a good life for 1 female living with 2 drakes.

I'm sorry that they aren't girls.
sad.png

The only thing I could suggest is to rehome one of them and get two female ducks although, if you are limited in the number you can have, then I am assuming you live in town? If you have neighbors really close by you wouldn't want girl ducks if you want to stay on good terms with them. They are very noisy at times and not everyone is keen on the morning time celebration ducks tend to have.

We've found two sexed female ducklings. We're going to get these and re home one of the drakes in the spring. Our garden is quite big so we can handle four for a few months or so. I'll post some pictures once we get the "girls". I've been told we wont have issues with the drakes until they become sexually mature in the spring.

We've found two sexed female ducklings. We're going to get these and re home one of the drakes in the spring. Our garden is quite big so we can handle four for a few months or so. I'll post some pictures once we get the "girls". I've been told we wont have issues with the drakes until they become sexually mature in the spring.
Thats true, so happy that you were able to find some girls.. look forward to pics..
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom