Drakes or Ducks? Help with my muscovies please! :)

justblisschick

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hello I got 3 muscovies back in Feb/march when they were 4/6 weeks old and I was wondering if I could start to tell if they are male or female now? I have some pics although they are not great. (I will try to get more tomorrow.) I know the wonderful lady that sold them to me (well my husband picked them up) is on this site(she lives in San Diego county), so I would text you/her but I got a new phone and lost all my numbers.

Anyways I will try to post the pics and if you could tell me what you think that would be great. BTW the Chocolate one is 2 weeks older than the other 2. Also please excuse the mess, we are right in the middle of building their enclosure, my rabbitry and fencing in my garden. :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

I've never owned muskovies, but assuming they are the same as other ducks, your first indication about their sex will be their voice. If it is low and gravely/raspy, it's a boy, whereas if it "quacks" like you would normally think of a duck doing, it's a female. Also, when they get a bit older, the drake's tail feathers will curl while the female's will stay straight, like they are in the pictures now.

Duck.over, they are nothing like other ducks. They don't quack, and they don't get a drake curl.

They huff and hiss and whistle, and are known as the quiet duck.

Justbliss, take a good look at their legs and body size. The males will have massive legs where the females will keep refined looking legs. The males will also become much larger in body than the girls, it is unmistakable visually as they mature.

Wish I could help from your pictures, but the sun glare is too much to see clearly.

Duck.over, they are nothing like other ducks. They don't quack, and they don't get a drake curl.
They huff and hiss and whistle, and are known as the quiet duck.
Justbliss, take a good look at their legs and body size. The males will have massive legs where the females will keep refined looking legs. The males will also become much larger in body than the girls, it is unmistakable visually as they mature.
Wish I could help from your pictures, but the sun glare is too much to see clearly.
Thank you! I will try to get better pics with my camera and not my cell phone lol. And I will go and take a good look at their legs. :)

Back
Top Bottom