Dumped Muscovies

Are ducks not able to live happily ever after as lake residents?
Depends on where. But they were bred to be taken care of and a lot aren't good foragers. Somewhere that has cold winters is worse, as they can't find food.

It's cruel to take an animal that was raised as livestock or a pet and just dump them, period.

They are so comfortable with humans it must mean whoever had them must have been friendly towards them. Or you'd think they would be terrified of you. Why someone would dump them? I had 4 Muscovy drakes at one time and it is a challenge for sure the boys had their own space with their own girls this way there wasn't any fighting. But if there are females in the equation and they are not separated there will be chasing and fighting. Or that is how it was here. @ruthhope has Muscovy drakes and hers live peaceably with each other with No females in the mix.
I figure that may be it, I think they were pets due to how calm they are. Perhaps it was a case of too many drakes. Or perhaps a different situation where their owner passed on and a relative dumped them. Who knows... but someone is responsible and that is super frustrating.

They're spending a lot of time by the road, but the cars do go very slowly due to a lot of speed bumps and signs saying ducks crossing. Hopefully they'll be okay until I can find them some help... Worried about them.

This makes me so angry!!! I really don't know why people would just dump animals. GRRRR!!!!! :mad:

They're quiet, just sneak them in. ;) Your girls might not approve though... :lau OR, you'll get some mule babies! :D

Let us know how it goes.
Will do!
Oh believe me, I've considered at least grabbing "Ollie" and just sneaking him home.
Ask for forgiveness, not permission, is my motto :lau

Are ducks not able to live happily ever after as lake residents?
Usually no, muscovies may fair a little better due to flight, less egg production, etc etc. But they're still raised to depend on humans, they're still our responsibility, it's still invasive and harmful to the environment and native species, etc etc.
As for mallard derived ducks, like pekins, campbells and so forth, they usually don't last the winter due to predators and nutrition issues.

I wasn't as worried for these boys until I saw the guy that has a messed up wing. Even without that I knew they likely wouldn't survive that long, but now I'm very concerned about him especially surviving though winter. I definitely want to try and get them safe.

As in the USA, the UK now has feral populations of muscovy. Some were decimated by avian 'flu last year -- both directly by infection, and indirectly by the Min of Agriculture culling infected groups of muscovy.

Here in Forida, feral muscovy do get quite tame walking round neighborhoods and begging for food. Some eat out of the hands of people who regularly feed them. That said I do believe that yours are dumped. It would be kindest to capture them and find them new homes. If you take any home, they will need to be isolated from your own ducks for 28 days

I hope you are successful rescuing and rehoming these muscovy. Sending cyber hugs and good wishes
I first considered that they may be escapees, or descendants of escapees, but I definitely think they're dumped after everything is considered. They appeared pretty recently, they're super tame and based on the condition of the one boy, he may not even be able to fly. So he must have been dumped, if that is the case.

I watched them for quite a while today, they followed me about for the food, filled their crops and one allowed me to stroke his back briefly. The one with the damaged wing seemed to attempt to fly but couldn't really get off the ground properly, that or he gave up very easily. I've seen my girls get higher than that, I don't think he can fly.

I'll keep everything updated, if by any chance I'm able to take any of them, I'll be very careful with my girls. Bird flu is one of my concerns, I'd keep them a good distance away, quarantine, and hopefully they're in good health. This lake is full of geese and becomes a bird flu hot spot. At the moment cases have hugely dropped, but if they come close again these boys could easily get sick/culled.
Another reason why I'd really like to get them into safety.

Back
Top Bottom