Drakes or hens?

archil

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
My three muscovy ducklings are about 4-5 weeks old I'm wondering if they're old enough for anyone to tell the sex?
Here's a link to my album of them
http://imageshack.us/user/narufry

The names of the ducklings are in the titles of the pictures.
I tried to get good shots of legs, faces and bodies, with a few comparisons to each other

These are the behaviours and a few physical characteristics I noticed about them that may help:

The one with the mostly white/yellow head is Juan, At first Juan seemed more reserved and kind of left out, he didnt really run around as much with the other two, no he's a little more active. To us he seems a little bigger than the others and his neck is thicker. He is the most timid and least curious.

The one with the darkest color and head is Three. Three seems to be the leader, she/he is the most curious and friendly and likes to start the running and swimming, everyone else follows. Out of the three her neck is the thinnest and her legs are the thinnest too.

Two Is the one with the middle colors i guess you could say, she/he has a light brown head and body. Two is pretty much the middle with her/his behviour also. To is less friendly than Three but more than Juan. His/her neck seems to be thicker than Three's but thinner than Juan's.

Their names go in order of darkness basically Juan[One] lightest, Three darkest; and obviously two in the middle

I did notice Juan seemed to be left out a bit; Two and Three sat together and sometimes cleaned each other, but now I see more participation from Juan and more acceptance from the others.
Two was cleaning Juan in the pool today.

If you need any more pictures or clarification of ho is who in which pictures I'll be glad to help

Thanks.

I can never tell from pics. They are cute though.

You can usually start to see a size difference between males and females. Even at 3 weeks old, females are usually weight about 65% as much as males. As they get older, the size difference will increase. Pictures are hard because many factors can affect how the ducks look. The easiest way, I think, is to look at them side by side when they are as close to each other as possible. I don't pick mine up but wait for them to settle down and then I compate them. Right now, it looks to me like I have 4 smaller of my 13 so they may be females.

It will be a few more weeks before you will be sure. At about 12 weeks, the girls will be about half the size of the boys.

Back
Top Bottom