Drakes together

Pickyannie

Hatching
Oct 4, 2016
Hi all,

I'm new to the site and just wanted to say Hello and ask a question.

I live in Scotland near Edinburgh and have been trying to find some ducks to keep our drake happy, he lost his last girl a few weeks ago (to mink) and is trying to be friends with a plastic duck on the pond now, poor fellow! I have had no luck finding female companions for him in the area and wonder if one or two drakes would work. There seems to be no shortage of drakes! So my question: If no female ducks are present would two or three drakes get along, has anyone experience of an all male group?

Thanks for reading.

Greetings, Pickyannie, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! First of all, what a handsome hound in your avatar! The chocolate lab in mine is named Churchill. Great dog!
Anyway, I've had drakes together and they get along fine....better, in fact than when there is a hen in the mix - less fighting. Others may have had different experiences. Head on over to the New Members Forum so we can give you a proper greeting! Here's the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions
Best wishes to you and your flock!

welcome-byc.gif
goodpost.gif

What usually happens in a flock of Drakes is a lot of fighting, Drake on Drake breeding or they may look at you as a mate and then fight over you?
Buying hens would be your best bet....Being he had a lady he will love new Duck hens....

Cheers!

Thank you Redsox, Churchill is beautiful. my sweet chocolate lab is called Molly, Afraid I cheated a bit, the photo was taken about 4 years ago, she is 11.5 years young now and still sweet natured and playful. Good to hear your drakes got on ok, I suspect if no girls are involved the boys wouldn't fight with each other. I'll head over to New members forum as you suggest. Many thanks for your welcome.

Hi Chickens Really, Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot find hens, I was prepared to travel quite a distance but no joy. I think I might go ahead and get another drake or two.

I've got two drakes. They have their "pecking order" (the little guy is the one in charge) but they dont bug each other too much and they freak out if they lose sight of one another. It's rather cute.
I even had a sick, recovering wild hen for about a month and all attempts at introductions resulted in them running away from the "stranger" to go frolic about in the yard together

Drake groups usually get along fine as long as no female ducks are introduced. I kept two drakes for several years before introducing any other ducks to them and they got along just fine.

I just got 7 Ancona ducks this spring, and it seems like I have on 2 females. They are all very well behaved, but I don't know when they will start to want to breed. Also do I need to make a nest box for the hens? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom