Drakes vs Ducks

EmilyP

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2016
Elberton, Georgia
My mallard drake is tearing up the necks of my pekin ladies... he is too little to get the job done so he is over aggressive with them. Our pekin mix drake does a decent job of keeping him away during the day but he has to be locked separate at night to keep from killing our mallard female. We don't really have another place to lock up this drake at night too but he does it during the day too. Would getting more females help this issue or would he still over mate these two because he is unsuccessful??!

It’s likely not because he is unsuccessful,it’s because it is ducks mating season and they are much more frisky.Even are overly large ducks do this,even ones who are successful every single time.Seperate him until he calms down )Try Maybe reintegration as we go into summer,maybe may or June.And even try getting a few extra hens just in case he still has some urge left in him.

It’s likely not because he is unsuccessful,it’s because it is ducks mating season and they are much more frisky.Even are overly large ducks do this,even ones who are successful every single time.Seperate him until he calms down )Try Maybe reintegration as we go into summer,maybe may or June.And even try getting a few extra hens just in case he still has some urge left in him.

If it isn't because he is unsuccessful why does he not tear up his mallard female mate? Her neck is just fine not a feather out of place unless our pekin mix tries to get her. Also this is not new to mating season, it is year round he has them tore up. He had our welsh girl featherless on her neck before our pekin mix (her son) killed her trying to mate.

From what I have noticed with severl drakes and hens ina flock each drake will have that one hen they stay as pair mostly all the time,with her switching every other year.When you have a few drakes in a flock they probably will have a paired hen each spring.They will target each others paired hens.I have seen this happen severl time.
Mallard female is probably his pair,the other girls are just toys for now.Like i said if he continues to have the urge try adding a few more hens.

Back
Top Bottom