Drakes vs Hen sounds??

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
My babies are are 6 weeks old. The 2 Cayugas are very loud and are definitely hens. My two appleyards are not near as loud and still doing more of the peeping yet? Is this cause more then likely they are drakes? By 6 weeks of age should you be able to tell their sex pretty clear via voice?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, how loud or frequent they peep isn't an indication of their gender. Just like people, some are noisy, some are quiet, and some are talkative. I had one drake that went WHAAAP WHAAAP WHAAP whenever anyone came near him, and I've had lots of quiet hens.
At 6 weeks, they should begin to get their voices, but (particularly with slower growing breeds fed a 15-16% grower) their voices may not fully develop until 10 weeks of age. At 6 weeks, mine were starting to develop quacks, but were still peeping. To fully tell, carry each individual bird away, one at a time, from the group and remember their gender.
Females quack- a loud, indignant QUACK QUACK QUACK. I take an egg- QUACK QUACK QUACK- I pluck a white feather before a show- QUAAACK!
Males have more of a laid-back, raspy whaap whaaap. It sounds like a very juvenile cross between a peep and a quack.

Well, how loud or frequent they peep isn't an indication of their gender. Just like people, some are noisy, some are quiet, and some are talkative. I had one drake that went WHAAAP WHAAAP WHAAP whenever anyone came near him, and I've had lots of quiet hens.
At 6 weeks, they should begin to get their voices, but (particularly with slower growing breeds fed a 15-16% grower) their voices may not fully develop until 10 weeks of age. At 6 weeks, mine were starting to develop quacks, but were still peeping. To fully tell, carry each individual bird away, one at a time, from the group and remember their gender.
Females quack- a loud, indignant QUACK QUACK QUACK. I take an egg- QUACK QUACK QUACK- I pluck a white feather before a show- QUAAACK!
Males have more of a laid-back, raspy whaap whaaap. It sounds like a very juvenile cross between a peep and a quack.
Thank you SO much for the post! I will try and record the 2 appleyards and post to see if you guys can tell the sex.

I do feed a high protein..24% and now 19%. They are growing like weeds!

Thanks again!!!

Okay... wait a minute. I'm not trying to boss but you REALLY should lower that protein now.

The proper protein ration is a 18-20% STARTER at 0-2 weeks, then 16-18% at 2-10 weeks, and then 14% maintenence ration with cat kibbles for the molt, and then 16-18% layer (or maintenence with oyster shell) ration for the laying birds once they lay their first egg.
Too much protein can cause leg, wing, and neurological problems. You can lower the protein by adding 5%'oats per week until the oats get to be 25%-50% of the food.

Okay... wait a minute. I'm not trying to boss but you REALLY should lower that protein now.

The proper protein ration is a 18-20% STARTER at 0-2 weeks, then 16-18% at 2-10 weeks, and then 14% maintenence ration with cat kibbles for the molt, and then 16-18% layer (or maintenence with oyster shell) ration for the laying birds once they lay their first egg.
Too much protein can cause leg, wing, and neurological problems. You can lower the protein by adding 5%'oats per week until the oats get to be 25%-50% of the food.

Thanks I know it is high. I talked to a nutritionist who told me to feed them like this. I got all worried as everywhere I read it said feed way less.
I wrote this to Metzer Farms - I had a nutritionist recommended a feed for my baby ducks (started at 1 week old and they are now 4 weeks still on same bag of food) it is a 24% protein and everywhere I read said they should be at a lower level? He then told me to go to the next feed down after I feed this bag out and that is a 19%. Is this to much protein? Will it hurt them? I still have half a bag left of the 24%. (I attached a picture to show you the look healthy, but worried about angel wings as I heard that is caused by high protein). Thanks!!

Metzer Farms wrote back this- Metzer Farms I do not believe you did any harm with 24% and the 19% now should not be a problem. If you decide you want to dilute it so it is a lower level of protein, you can dilute it using our app on our website:http://www.metzerfarms.com/FeedConversion.cfm Though others have seen angel wing in ducks, I have never seen it on our farm - so it is not common.

Metzer Farms | Mix Your Own Feeds
How to mix your own feeds for ducks and geese using a simple feed calculator.
METZERFARMS.COM

Well, Metzer has been okay, but if you really want expert advise, talk to Holderread. Holderread farms basically established (in the US) the breeds you find in North America today.
And that protein is VERY high. The highest I've ever heard anyone use is 20%, and that is pushing it. Angel wing is as common in ducks as it is in chickens, so be careful.

Well, Metzer has been okay, but if you really want expert advise, talk to Holderread. Holderread farms basically established (in the US) the breeds you find in North America today.
And that protein is VERY high. The highest I've ever heard anyone use is 20%, and that is pushing it. Angel wing is as common in ducks as it is in chickens, so be careful.
just sent them an email..thanks!

Duck #1
vimeo_logo.png

Aw so cute! Both the duck and the little boy (your son maybe)? :love Sounds like she is starting to get a quack. By the end of the week or next week, she should be quacking. My hens sounded like this until I managed to get an indignant QUACK out of them. Some of them you really have to work at to get them to quack- one of my adult hens quacks, but she insists on trying to peep still- she goes really quiet, and then does a very quiet peep-like quack. If they are boys (which this one, I think is a female) the peeping will turn raspy. They still have to have the second molt at 10-14 weeks but after that, the males will have the "boy" plumage. Then at 16-20 weeks you can start to see the sex feather (curly tail feather) the drakes have. If you have lots of drakes you will need to get rid of some, the proper ration is one drake for every four to five hens. Just so nobody gets hurt or aggresive. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom