Drastic temp change, rain..first time..sickness concerns?

Katanahamon

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
Umm..my girls are verging on point of lay, 19 weeks, we’ve had a tremendously hot dry summer, last night we went from 90 to now 58 in ten minutes, rain, wind whole 9 yards. Raining this morning. So dark auto door wasn’t opening. After bringing their food earlier, I let them out..I’m assuming this is no big deal..covered run, mostly, I can feel they’re still getting damp. Supposed to stay much cooler a couple days..any sickness concerns? They can get inside the coop or under it for absolutely dry shelter..

They should be fine.

60F is a much more comfortable temperature than 90F for chickens.

Since they're fully-feathered adults, as long as they have a choice between wet and dry and are getting wet because they CHOOSE to they'll be fine.
Thanks..just wanted a double check..it’s too easy as a first timer to make what seems like a decently smart assumption only to find out there was something you didn’t consider! Like how my coop is built on a decline, which is great because they can go under for shelter, coolness, and it increases run size. However..didn’t consider how to clean poop out of there..still figuring it out. My neck has steel hardware, which is why I’m disabled, so, crawling around under there doesn’t sound very rewarding..

Like how my coop is built on a decline, which is great because they can go under for shelter, coolness, and it increases run size. However..didn’t consider how to clean poop out of there..still figuring it out. My neck has steel hardware, which is why I’m disabled, so, crawling around under there doesn’t sound very rewarding..

If you post photos we might have suggestions. :)

My first thought is to enlist Boy Scouts, church youth group members, or kids from schools that require community service hours for graduation. :)

My first thought is to enlist Boy Scouts, church youth group members, or kids from schools that require community service hours for graduation. :)
It’s not so cramped you absolutely can’t get in there, it just..won’t be fun..

Attachments

• A8490CDE-AEE6-413C-BF9A-F52750A77F53.jpeg
    A8490CDE-AEE6-413C-BF9A-F52750A77F53.jpeg
    988.4 KB · Views: 9
It’s not so cramped you absolutely can’t get in there, it just..won’t be fun..

Well, with plenty of dry, organic material to absorb the poop you won't have to do it often.

My in-town setup had something like that and my solution was a kid with a rake to scoop the worst of it out and then just throw in more fresh pine straw.

Here are some construction photos..couldn’t resist photo of their second night in big coop..already roosted the second they got in there. I made changes as construction proceeded and electricity was added..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 7
  • DD8624A7-1665-4721-B4DF-F6517EA6A5D1.jpeg
    DD8624A7-1665-4721-B4DF-F6517EA6A5D1.jpeg
    632.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 10
Well, with plenty of dry, organic material to absorb the poop you won't have to do it often.

My in-town setup had something like that and my solution was a kid with a rake to scoop the worst of it out and then just throw in more fresh pine straw.
It’s sooo dry here in salt lake that if you don’t get out there first thing, the cecal poops will dessicate into cement by mid morning! The other poops are already completely dry! There are some advantages to single digit humidity..in my pics I included a hawk that started circling the minute we built the run, like it knew! Plus one of my new roses..

Back
Top Bottom