Drawing Tylan 50 to inject: how to do it?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Call me a dummy; guilty as charged.

My 100ml bottle of Tylan 50, as is the same with all YOUR 100ml bottles of Tylan 50, has a rubber cork in the top with an aluminum collar wrapped around it.

I can certainly RIP that cork out, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to do that to draw the drug into the needly/syringe.

The aluminum/cork assembly doesn't unscrew, and it seems likely that if I were to try to extract the rubber cork, it's gonna end up IN the bottle :eek: .

Now we don't want that, do we class?

So, how the heck do I get the stuff out? Do I stick the needle through the rubber thing each use, or........

I bet I'm not the only one to have this question; but maybe the only one gutsy enough to ask it!
lol.png

You'll want to first draw an amount of air into the syringe equal to the amount of fluid you want to draw out. This will keep you from forming a vacuum in the bottle. Puncture the rubber in the center with the needle and inject the air into the bottle, then draw back the plunger to fill.

First step is to take the metal cover off the rubber part--it should be in 2 parts, an inner circle and the outer rim. Peel/pry off the inner circle to expose the rubber. You insert the needle through the rubber each time. If you are doing many animals (chickens) at once, leave the first needle in the bottle and attach each syringe to it to w/draw the fluid and then w/draw the needle with the last syringe (repeated puncturing of the rubber stopper can allow germs in so to the extent possible, try to minimize it). Oh, and you turn the bottle upside down (ie bottle on top and needle underneath) when drawing the fluid.

Hope that helps!

Kinnip and Dreamgirl, thank you!

D-girl, the top on this bottle only has metal in one part, the outer aluminum ring around the already-exposed rubber stopper. So part of my work has already been done!

The info about the vacuum, and the leaving the first needle in the bottle, and the upside down thing, etc. really helpful.

I am not kidding when I say you dear BYC 'siblings' of mine have been more help than any Extension Agent or Hatchery 'pro' I have spoken to. Really.

I hope you won't mind my saying, "God bless and keep you and yours"

Back
Top Bottom