Dreadlocks

EXCUSE ME?????

Quote:
Quote:
There are MANY hair and clothing styles that I don't like and I would never dream of saying anything like some of the comments made here.

I wash my hair, it does not smell. In fact, if my hair is not clean it doesn't hold my dreads. It has to be VERY clean, no residuals. Now back to appearances. I like how they look, if you don't that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. If that is the case my suggestion to you is to not get dreads. There are many people out here in the PNW with alternate hair styles. There are many many people here who have chosen dreads, people of all races.

This comment, however, is true:

mom'sfolly :

The issue with dredlocks is the only way to get rid of them is to cut them off. They are fairly permanent. You could probably do it by twisting and teasing, but you still have to wash them, and your scalp can get very dry. Dredlocks are matted/felted hair, and it is a style that doesn't work very naturally with caucasian or asian hair. If your hair curls naturally you have a much better chance of managing dreds, a perm probably won't do it.

To the OP: Getting dreads is a long process, it takes many hours and you will need help. You can't just let your hair go and have it dread nicely, you will end up with one icky dread instead of nice orderly ones. As your hair is permed, it has some damage to it, which will help the dreads form and stay well. There are websites detailing how to get dreads in. I decided to dread my hair because it was fairly damaged & I was considering cutting it very short. I had always like the look, and figured that I would try the dreads and if I didn't like them I would cut my hair short at that time, no harm done. That was 8 or 9 years ago. I keep mine shoulder length, but I have seen many young women with gorgeous long dreads. Mine are loose, but that's just because I have to take the time to sit down and work in the newly grown loose parts. If you are under age, you will want to make sure you have your parents permission, it would be pretty horrible to sit through the 10 hour process (or more) and have your parents force you to cut it. It's a long term style, and you do need to be ready for that. If you aren't, wait and see how you feel at another time.

Here is when I first got them:

12104_newavatar.jpg

Here is a more recent picture, where you can see a bit more of the new, looser growth. It still doesn't look bad, IMO, but it does need reworked:

12104_newme.jpg

Here is the lead singer for Shadows Fall. His locks go down past his knees.
57594_26161_362352602849_502652849_3360008_3944508_n.jpg

My only issue with them is keeping your hair clean. If you have very dry hair, then maybe it is ok. I just seen these guys in concert (again) and he actually gets his locks spinning in circles while he is on stage. With locks that long, that's talent lol

Quote:
I don't generally look dirty - although I was an art teacher for years, and little ones would give me hugs when they were covered in paint. Plus, I garden. So, actually if you catch me doing any of the above activities I may in fact look dirty
lol.png
. But, I'm really pretty conservative looking and clean cut, dreads aside.

I've been contemplating them for a long time too. If you're looking for something easy- dreads probably aren't for you. You still have to wash your hair, it has to be super clean to start them. You have to maintain them too. I've known quite a few people with them, and with the exception of the deadheads that have been camping out all summer- they don't stink.

Sure- they aren't for everyone, but neither is any other hairstyle. You have to work with what ya got- not try to be somebody else
wink.png

Quote:
Now that is more like it! A Bo Derek style! Works pretty good with most folks!

Now, Angie, no offense about our comments, that is why we have our opinions even it is strongly going against our grain. That was my experience living in the city, while those folks have dreads that it really are BAD, too many probably are ill informed how much work dreads can be. Even being around with college guys with dreads, they smelled like bad BO or bedheads with an odor. Too bad resturaunts does not enforce BO rules but I had to move away from the table to eat elsewhere so I do not have that stink when I was eating.

I agree, with proper instructions, and good care for dreads, it will smell like hair and act like hair LOL! No different than a long haired lady or guy! Oh, I've seen some goreous black wavy guys with mustache that looks like Yanni........look-a-lick-ous!
tongue.png
lol.png

I agree with HappyMtn, just be yourself instead of trying to be someone you are not and what flatters you and your figure (face, body, feet, etc.)

Quote:
Oh, it wasn't that people don't like them that I have an issue with, it was how some of the comments were worded.

As to the rest, I totally agree that you've got to be yourself. I think the smell was a separate issue, emanating from some young men who obviously didn't take the time to shower before going out. I know lots of young women with dreads and never ever noticed a smell. Now there was this young man that my cousin dated for awhile a number of years ago..... he's still known as the stinky guy.... when they came over I was mortified that there was something rotten smelling in my fridge or elsewhere, I was squeezing oranges down the sink, etc
lol.png
I didn't figure it out until the smell followed me to the car as they piled in. But he didn't have dreads, just short slightly curly hair. However, I did not take this to mean that everyone with short slightly curly hair smells bad.
tongue.png

As for care, it depends. Putting it in and for the first 6 months or so it does require you to work with it. However, all I have to do at this point is wash it with a nice clean shampoo every other day, pull on a headband or put it in a couple of little pigtails and go about my day. I never have to do much more than that. I cut it now and then, but it's very easy to do. I do need to work in my wild ends, but it's been over 8 years so I can't complain too much
lol.png
I have had the occasional friend ask me if I have a hairbrush or a comb in my purse that they could borrow, that got a giggle.

Last edited:
I don't think I could see it because we aren't friended, but I saw your main one... are you the one in back? If so, I think the braids would look good on ya!

Mine is similar, but more brownie blonde... its super long and wavy, and thick, so it usually ends up being a huge tangle unless I spend an hour and a half flat ironing it! Ugh it's so hard to deal with! Lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom