Dream come true? (Long story, and personal opinions needed)

smileyfacecat

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Wrentham, MA
Okay, a lot has been going on in my life, and most of it hasn't been great. However, things may be turning around. I am about to tell you a story, and for two reasons: I need to just talk it out to make more sense of things, and I need your opinion on something.

Here are a few things that are relevant to the story I am about to tell: I do not live on a farm, but have always wanted to. I am pursuing a degree in the agricultural field. I know what it takes to work a farm, as well as most of the cost associated with it. I do not have the money to purchase a farm of my own, or even a home for that matter. I am physically challenged, but can still do almost anything anyone of able-body can -- just in a different way. My mother & I need to move this coming Spring, when our lease is up at our current house. We currently live in rental home, with a creepy landlord that everyone in this town loves and believes whatever he says. Our current home is like a prison, where I get yelled at (by the Landlord) for starting a garden, composting, or doing anything for that matter. I hate this place.

Here is the story:
A few weeks ago I found a farm on craigslist, listed for sale. The minute I saw the pictures I feel in love, so I decided to contact the owner to see if he/she would be willing to rent it. After I clicked "send" on my email, I thought to myself, "This is such a long-shot, don't get your hopes up". That next day, to my surprise, there was an email waiting for me from the owner of the farm, saying that he, "would consider renting it in the right circumstance". Hot dog, I type my replay back to him so fast I almost broke my keyboard! I told the owner what I wanted to do with the property, and then I gave him the price I could offer (which he did not ask for, I volunteered it). I clicked "send" yet again, praying for a miracle. Knowing that what I was offer was probably not going to be enough, I warned myself not to get too ahead of myself.
The next day, I was on my to volunteer at the Y, for a fall festival, and that's when the cell phone rang. It was the owner of the farm! We talk for about 30 minutes, and I did my best to relay my intentions for the property, that both my mother & I were capable of caring for it, and I repeated my price offering. He didn't sound to thrilled about the price, or the fact the I am wheelchair-bound (but that does not stop me from doing anything!). He said that he would consider our offer over the winter, since we weren't planning until the Spring to move anyway. Which is way more than I ever could have asked for.
Yesterday (exactly three weeks from our last conversation), I sent him an email asking if we could just tour the property. I live about 40 miles from the farm, and have never seem it in person. In our last conversation, the owner had told me about some of the history attached to the property, and he said he would love to show it to us. Oh how I would love to pick his brain about more of it's history and how he currently manages it. Also, he told me about the existing animals on it; two Nigerian dwarf goats (which was the breed I was planning on getting when we had a farm), and 14 (I think) Rhodes Island Red chickens. I have not heard back from my email yet, but I got the impression that he is not attached-at-the-hip with a computer, and prefers face-to-face conversations over email (which is very refreshing, since most people I come in contact nowadays seem like they can not handle social interaction, other than Facebook). I could have called him, but I felt that might be putting him on the spot, since he hasn't made his final decision as of yet about us renting it. So, I thought an email would be something he could read and get back to me when he felt like it.
I really want this to happen, it would literally be a dream come true for me and my mother. I just hope I am not getting my hopes up too high, only to be crushed later.
I know he does not want to sell this property, but I guess due to the current economic times he has to. The owner of the farm has another house and business in a another town, and this farm was suppose to be his home for when he retired. In a way, renting it out could benefit all of us; he could keep his farm and his animals, and we could take care of it until he does have that chance to retire. Also, I know we could take not only physical care of his animals but help with the financial care as well. For example, we could probably take over complete care (physical and financial) of the chickens, and take physical care of the goats, and grow food to supplement what they eat, so he does not have to buy as much grain and/or hay. I could also contribute to the property, by planting things (fruit bushes, fruit/nut trees, and what not), and by building a small greenhouse, that would stay with the property when we leave for the owner to utilize later on.

So, here is what I need to ask whom ever may read my nonsensical babble -- In your opinion: Am I asking for too much? If you were the owner of this farm, how would you feel, and what might convince you into letting me rent it? Anything else you would like to add?
idunno.gif

If the property owner truly doesn't want to sell the property, just needs some extra money coming in, then your offer might be just what he needs. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask - even if he says "no", you're no worse off than you are, now.

I would try to find out as much as you can about the property owner. You don't want to leave one "creepy" landlord, and find yourself dealing with a worse one!

Good luck! I hope your dreams come true.
fl.gif

One thing to add, if this new landlord to be has not rented things out before... you might make sure you get a real good rental agreement spelling out who pays for what and so on.

I would wait to take a look at the property first. I know that you mentioned that you are wheelchair bound and I have a lot of respect for you wanting to work a farm. My thought is that it may not be very accessible for you and it could cause you to be injured. You said it was a barn with history (so I will assume it is an older one like mine). My barn is not wheel chair accessible whatsoever. I have a hay loft that is 8ft up in the air, my hallways are all concrete and very narrow, I can barely fit a wheel barrow through. The people back then tried to squeeze as many features in it as possible, making it rather crammed. Don’t mean to offend anybody, I just thought I’d voice my concerns. I broke my ankle last year and it was a huge pain to deal with the farm being on crutches, I couldn’t imagine doing it out of a wheelchair. Maybe take a look at the property first and see if it can work for YOU. If it does, then I would say go for it.

To answer your question about what I would feel like if I was the landlord: If I were to think about renting out my barn/farm I would be very worried about liability issues if something were to happen to the renter, whether it be kids, people with disabilities or anybody in general. If the renter were to show me that they would be fine taking care of all the animals I might feel more inclined to rent it out, especially since you were offering to support the feed cost.

Update:
I received a message from the owner of the farm, and he said "no" to our offer. So, I am off in search of another farm. I was actually pretty surprised the owner said no, but I knew there was always a chance of that happening. Although, I already bought all of my seed stock for the upcoming growing season, and know that my current land..um..slumlord isn't going to let me have a garden next year.
somad.gif

Would anyone happen to know of any farms in southeastern ma for rent, or one that has been listed for sale for a long time at a cheap price? I have emailed about 6 people on Craigslist already, but could always use more options. We could move just about anywhere in southeastern Ma (Cape Cod included), as long as the house 2 or more bedrooms, one of the bedrooms or at least some sort of a room that could be made into a bedroom on the first floor, has a full bathroom on the first floor, and would allow both indoor pets (three cats, and a dog), and livestock (chickens & either goats or sheep). We would love to have 2+ acres, and a existing barn and/or chicken coop (which I know is asking a lot). The amount we can offer for rent will vary depending on the location.
idunno.gif

I am starting to get pretty desperate at this point, since I don't want to be stuck in this house for another year. Anyone have any extra luck, because I just bought a lotto ticket.
fl.gif

Craigslist is the first place I'd look...all property either for rent or for sale or lease option to buy...plus you can put an add on craigslist describing what you are looking for and what you are able to pay and what you are able to invest in sweat equity, etc.
Want to live on a farm? Go to all the local farm and ranch supply or hay and feed sellers and put a notice their bulletin board...they all have one and let the owners/workers at each place know your story so they can keep an ear open for some place that might work for you.
Online real estate brokers who deal mainly with land...might be your dream place listed on the MLS.
A lovely, personal, two sided flyer taken to the local auction barns that deal with farm livestock and/ or machinery and handed to everyone there.
Get the word out as to your abilities and dreams...and be persistant. Best of luck!

One occasionally finds dream renters; but often rarer than hen's teeth. There are tons of horror stories about renters (and landlords for that matter), so, a lot of people really do not want to rent to a stranger--it can be a huge hassle. Going through a realtor is far more likely to get you what you are looking for.

I am going to guess that one of the problems with your request is that your offered rent is less than the owner's mortgage payment. Unless he will soon be in a position to retire to his farm, he probably needs to have the mortgage covered. As was already mentioned, the place probably was not designed for someone with disabilities, and he likely does not want the expense for any rework required to make it so, or for the liability should you become injured if he does not make accessibility changes. He may also have legitimate concerns over your ability to keep the place to his standards.

I do know that people with disabilities can often do amazing things. A previous next door neighbor is a paraplegic, and the amount of things he was able to accomplish were amazing--far more than I could ever even begin to think of doing, but he was definitely an exception to what many have experienced as far as abilities go.

As for gardening, most landlords would not want you changing their yard. A raised bed garden could fit your needs without disturbing the existing lawn or flower beds.

Back
Top Bottom