Dreamed my chickens laid eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDOGG331, Mar 11, 2016.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow that's awesome!!! I hope mine lay that well! Today I noticed that it isn't just one Australorp anymore, it is also the Barred Rock, a Buf Orpington, any maybe an EE or both, not sure, that have much redder combs and wattles now. Surprised the BO turned red so soon. So hopefully it will be any day now before our first egg! No squatting yet though. And in reality seems it could be up to another month! :/ and yeah, its warm now and lighter :)

2. Jujubara

Jujubara Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass
    Nice! Our EE laid at 26 weeks. She was very reliable and laid a beautiful green egg! She's the one that just died last weekend.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  3. Jujubara

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass
    I'd definitely have a nice long talk with them. Tell them how they need to pay their way. I swear it works. Lol

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    26 weeks isn't so bad!! I hope mine are reliable and have pretty eggs. And aw sorry for your loss :(

LOL I actually had a talk with the Australorp when I was putting the fake eggs in. I was basically telling her how when she's ready to lay, you lay your eggs in here okay? (She was on the coop roof watching me) and how it's no pressure and I actually don't care if you never lay an egg but when you are ready, you lay them in there, in the box okay? And went on a bit. She seemed very interested. Then I added since some were crowding me that this applies to everyone actually. I don't care if you never lay but when you do, lay in there.

I may have another pep talk with them LOL

But the may be mad cause a week or two ago I told the Australorps if they dont stop being mean i was going to turn them into chicken soup.... they looked a little scared when I said that LOL seriously!! But of course I would never ever do that.

But my dad and brother keep asking when the chickens are gonna start laying and how they need to start putting some product out/earn their keep and my brother wants to make chicken salad out of them..

Technically they are still in a very normal range, early even, but it's understandable since we've had them since October.

5. Jujubara

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass
    I'm sure you'll be getting lots of eggs soon. The wait makes that first one all the more special. And if you're like us, you will be excite everyday! We we're thrilled the day we got 7!

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

I sure hope so!!! And oh yes, it will definitely be exciting!!!

7. Jujubara

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass
    I can't wait to see those new egg pictures!

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! I will most definitely post egg pictures! :)

9. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Still no eggs yet but ONE OF MY ORPINGTONS AND MY BARRED ROCK STARTED SQUATTING TODAY!!!! :weee :celebrate :ya :yesss:

One Australorp, the Barred Rock, and one or two Orpingtons, and I think possibly the Easter Eggers combs and wattles have been very red for while too and the Australorps have been eating the oyster shell for a couple weeks plus I saw an Orpington check out a nest boxt today and i know others have because every time I go out there are fake eggs kicked out of the box and today there were almost no shavings in one. May need to add a lip. Last week I took out all the fake eggs except one in each box. The bag came with 10 so I had put 3 in two and 4 in one and my dad thought there wasnt enough room to lay their eggs or they didn't like it cause there'd always be at least 3 or 4 eggs punted across the coop LOL so now there is one in each box and theres 3 boxes. One was still out this morning though. But hopefully they lay soon!!!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  10. Good luck with your hens, sounds like you'll see an egg any day!!

This might be a fun side note - My flock is a fixture in my dreams all the time! Often when I dream about my chickens, they are in wild places that I wouldn't expect them to be (like in a dusty, run-down room in my barn that never existed in real life, i just "forgot" about it till my dream) I even noticed a freaky connection between what I dream and real life. Whenever I dream of seeing a big flock of chickens that I don't actually have free ranging in my yard, I wake up in the morning to find a predator raided my flock in the night! It's become a practice now whenever I have one of those dreams to set a trap, just in case. Lately I've been dreaming about eggs popping up in random bunches, like 30 at a time, in weird places in my yard. I'll go put them in my incubator and later on that day, I get hatches. These chicks that hatch are some of the craziest breeds i've ever seen too! I get chicks of all different colors, some that look like any day-old white, red or black chick, while others have beautiful patterns. Some even have hair tufts like a mini-polish afro or 2 or 3 showy feathers sticking out the top of their heads similar to peacocks or screamers. The best ones, though looked like blue and gold macaws. They had these amazing neon cyan blueish feathers that turned to red stripes on the breast and wing bars, and some yellow on the tails. Their heads had some green and yellow on them too, just like a real macaw. These chicks hatched looking like they were 4 or 5 weeks old, in that awkward stage I like to call chicken puberty where the feathers are kind of ratty from just bursting through the sheaths. I had a vulturine guineafowl in this dream too, (Although he had very long tail and wing feathers like a phoenix chicken or the Quetzal) and I remember thinking he was responsible somehow for adding his colorful DNA to my chicken gene pool. I followed him around my yard until he dropped a feather so I could go compare the two. The feathers almost looked like the pictures of real ones I've seen online, but with a lot more neon blue in them. I woke up around this time because all the attention I was giving to my newfound guinea seemed to annoy my pair of helmeted guineas (which I do have, and were just like normal in my dream). Last thing I remember from this dream was their back-and-forth squak routine and the vulturine guinea leaving me with a couple really long, blue, polka-dotted feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by